3-Point Hitch Quick Hitch difficulty

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #1  

Robertesq1

Love the quick hitch but the only problem is there is not alot of room to push in and lock in the power shaft. I cant seem to be able to get any leverage in that tight a space. Is the a tool that fits over the powershaft shield that makes it easier to lock it in?

Thanks Robert

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #2  
Love the quick hitch but the only problem is there is not alot of room to push in and lock in the power shaft. I cant seem to be able to get any leverage in that tight a space. Is the a tool that fits over the powershaft shield that makes it easier to lock it in?

Thanks Robert

Are you talking about the PTO drive shaft?
If so, use a bungee or something similar to support some of the weight of the drive shaft. Hook the bungee to the implement frame or what ever else is convenient.
BTW, bungees can snap back (when stretched). I suggest you wear safety glasses.

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #3  
Try extending your pto shaft all the way out and take note or mark it, then extend the shaft just short of the separation point, back up to the item you want to attach close enough to engage the shaft. I use a bungee to keep the shaft somewhat at the right height. Hook up the shaft then complete the hook up. That's what I do for my brush hog. It gives you an extra foot or so of room to hook up the shaft in the confined space.

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #4  
The flip up PTO shield on my tractor makes connecting the PTO shaft so much easier. Has anybody converted their old (non flip) PTO shield to a flip up kind? This in my opinion would be a very worthwhile modification for any tractor that doesn't already have it. I don't remember exactly how my old tractor's shield was installed but I'm thinking that unbolting it and attaching the shield to a plate and heavy duty door/gate hinge then bolting the plate and shield back on would do the trick.

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #5  
Usually if you lower the quick hitch all or nearly all the way down, you have room to access the PTO shaft, unless you're one of those 350-pounders.

The flip-up shield... I happily removed the !@#$%'ing thing...

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #6  
The flip up PTO shield on my tractor makes connecting the PTO shaft so much easier.

Since you brought this up...not only do I use a bungee to bear some of the PTO drive shaft weight, I also use a short bungee to hold the flip up shield in the up position...both make life just a bit easier.

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #7  
Keep the male tractor and female implement clean and lubed, they will slide in like- well you know!!
:D:thumbsup:

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #8  

Thanks Robert

Robert, I am in a wheelchair and have a lot of difficulty with that very operation, so I spent 20 bucks and bought an extension of about 4 inches and it makes all the difference in the world for me. See below.

Pto Adapter 1-3/8 X6 Spline Male X 1-3/8X6 Spline Female Pto Adapter

/ Quick Hitch difficulty
Robert, I am in a wheelchair and have a lot of difficulty with that very operation, so I spent 20 bucks and bought an extension of about 4 inches and it makes all the difference in the world for me. See below.

Pto Adapter 1-3/8 X6 Spline Male X 1-3/8X6 Spline Female Pto Adapter

I get the PTO shaft lined up and on the spline but getting it to click or lock on is a bear. I'm 6ft 200pds 55 y/o but it kicks my but. Maybe an adapter might do the trick, but then the spline is sticking out and exposed. I thought some type of device to grip the PTO shaft might make it easier to lock it home.

/ Quick Hitch difficulty #10