Quonset Hut vs Conainer

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
For about a year I have been mulling over buying a container. What do you think about Quonset huts? Any idea on the "ballpark" price per ft on a Quonset hut? What are the disadvantages of a quonset?

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #2  
If you are in a zoned area, better check your zoning. Lots of areas don't allow shipping containers.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #3  
Lot of sections to bolt together. Seems like one method is to pour a concrete pad for it and then use rolling scaffolds to put the sections together. No gutters. How do you deal with water runoff? Lacking a square wall, space use might be an issue. There are so many post and beam shops that built instead.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #4  
I've had several 40 foot containers, and currently have one right now. I like how secure they are, how you have an instant storage area once it's delivered. They are kind of ugly, but with some paint, they look a lot better for very little money. Size is the limiting factor, you only have enough room for some shelves on the sides, or enough space to pull something small into it like a four wheeler or small tractor. They also get very hot in summer, so you need additional venting, which really doesn't do anything for the heat issue, but it does help with the condensation issue that comes from the heating and cooling that they go through.

I've never seen a Quonset hut that I would want to own. I can't imagine why anybody would actually pay money for one. Instead, look into those carport type metal buildings if you want something quick, easy and fairly cost effective that is bigger then a container, but will take longer to build.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #5  
Depends on what your use is. Can't pull a car/truck/tractor in a container and have any room left over to work on it. Unless you have two, then build a roof over them to make a slabbed workshop between them.

I built a 30x50 Quonset in 2007....other than it being too small(too much crap) I still really like it. Should have built a 50x100. It took me, a buddy and his 11 year old son a week to get the metal up. I used a homemade boom to lift the panels with the tractor FEL.

If you choose a Quonset....spray foam/sprayfoam/sprayfoam for insulation!

Last edited:
   / Quonset Hut vs Conainer #6  
Containers are just too small to be useful as a shop. They are good for secure storage. I've seen several building sites whereby the owner used Quonsets, and they were happy with them. Lots of space and they go up quick with a small crew.
One brilliant design, was two long containers that had a rafted roof between them just like MotorSeven has said. . Best of both worlds: space and secure storage in one. And it didn't look half bad.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #7  
Depends on what your use is. Can't pull a car/truck/tractor in a container and have any room left over to work on it. Unless you have two, then build a roof over them to make a slabbed workshop between them.

I built a 30x50 Quonset in 2007....other than it being too small(too much crap) I still really like it. Should have built a 50x100. It took me, a buddy and his 11 year old son a week to get the metal up. I used a homemade boom to lift the panels with the tractor FEL.

If you choose a Quonset....spray foam/sprayfoam/sprayfoam for insulation!
I am in the process of setting panels now. This what I am using to lift the center section of 3 .
IMG_1707.jpeg
IMG_1710.jpeg

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #8  
For about a year I have been mulling over buying a container. What do you think about Quonset huts? Any idea on the "ballpark" price per ft on a Quonset hut? What are the disadvantages of a quonset?
Disadvantages of Quonset hut over "standard rectangular" building.
Constant reminder of Korea.
Side doors and windows are more difficult to install.
I spent a fair amount of time working in Quonset huts in Yongsan, Korea in the 1980's. Not too bad.
If you build it on a stem wall and plan on using everything above about 10' for storage they worked out well.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #9  
I just replaced the roof on my Clearspan after 20+ years and my insurance company paid for it, wind got a hold of it and ripped it. Not bad really.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #10  
I have a 25x40' US Steel Quonset style, straight wall sides, on a 2' pony wall, poured concrete. Been up maybe 15 years. No issues so far. I built the endwalls, have a man door at each end, one end has a 16'x 9'h powered garage door. Like everyone, not big enough(yes, too much junk). I poured the walls first, used rolling scaffold to erect the ribs that I assembled on the ground. Took maybe 2 days for me and 2 friends to assemble. Used 3900 bolts, all tightened from the inside with impact gun. Only thing I might change would be to insulate. With the straight sidewalls I can put shelves almost against the walls, all lights and electrical conduit uses the existing bolts as connectors. Also have the propane heaters hung from above.