R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall?

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #41  
I now run my rears at 12 psi 18 front when mowing and 20/24 with loader and ballast box. Another good indicator you you’re close to proper inflation is to drive on some pavement with wet tires and observe the tread pattern. Thin to high, no middle too low. Or use chalk to draw a line across the tread and see how it wears.

Learned about the inflation charts and tread patterns on a truck forum. There’s alway arguments about switching from P tires to light duty truck. Seems many people want to crank the pressure up to 75psi cause the side wall says it then complain about the ride and handling

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #42  
And how old is too old for a tractor tire?
Are my 30+ year old tires too old?
Do I risk death if I still run them this winter plowing snow?
I'm apparently awaiting disaster also. my weather checked tires that still hold air, are so old they were made before the date mandate lol. Unsure if a manufactured date is even required on off road equipment tires perhaps a owner of a newer tractor can chime in?

Attachments

• KIMG1416.JPG
    KIMG1416.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • KIMG1415.JPG
    KIMG1415.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
   / R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #43  
Putting chains on some well worn tires several years ago (10-15 or so).
Still running the same tires and chains.
Absolutely no idea how old these tires are, they were old when I bought the tractor.

there is a boot inside that tire were the puncture was,
100_4180.JPG

well used and worn but still work great with chains, also nor bad on the lawn when I used to mow the lawn with this tractor
100_4186.JPG

2012-06-24_13-48-32_122.jpg

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #44  
Putting chains on some well worn tires several years ago (10-15 or so).
Still running the same tires and chains.
Absolutely no idea how old these tires are, they were old when I bought the tractor.

there is a boot inside that tire were the puncture was,
View attachment 772990

well used and worn but still work great with chains, also nor bad on the lawn when I used to mow the lawn with this tractor
View attachment 772991

View attachment 772996
How do you like that Laztec (?spelling?) mower?

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #45  
Something bothers me about the pics in the OP's comment. When I worked for an OEM auto company, we would see this situation on foreign competitive cars & trucks supplied by local dealers. We rented them for testing & evaluation purposes. The pics suggest to me these tires are NOT what they say they are. For a REAL OEM tire, the mold will have a place where all the latest words and numbers go, done by a brass or stainless plate. The letters & numbers come out VERY clearly (as by LAW). The tire markings shown about suggest to me that they are knockoffs, made from a mold that was made by copying a real OEM tire. No need to ask Pat to solve the puzzle this time. We should all know who does this & gets away with it. It comes out in court proceedings when there is an allegation that a faulty tire caused a crash resulted in death or worse.

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #46  
Are my 30+ year old tires too old?
Do I risk death if I still run them this winter plowing snow?
I see the sarcasm in those questions. :)

Bias ply tractor tires don't fit the same mold as radial ply trailer tires.

The front tires on my Ford are so old that they don't have date stamps.

If you think a tire blowout while pushing snow will cause an accident so severe that it might cause your death, yes.

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall?
Are my 30+ year old tires too old?…
Short answer: No… and I, like many others, have run severely weather checked tires for many years (well, 5 years in my case…) without issues…

OTOH… if some unscrupulous dealer tried to pass off 10 year old, NOS tires when you are paying for new… wouldn’t you want to know?

/ R14 tire pressure... have you read the sidewall? #50  
Brings me back to a question I asked earlier are equipment tires dated like tires made to travel public roads? not one of my R1 ag tires on either tractor has a date code on them.