radial tires and liquid ballast

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #11  
What's the tube for?
So ya ain't hunting all over the country to replace a rusty rim. I have seen 8n tractors with original good rims. Other old tractors too. We have six tractors, logging equipment, skid steers, all have tubes.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #12  
Reason I was told to consider steel weight vs fluid in radials is the fluid slows down how quickly the radial can flex and absorb bumps or follow ground contour. Per the tire supplier this could possibly damage the radial tire easier that bias ply but not sure what operating conditions or speeds this was based on. I suspect concern is With more farmers operating at higher speeds of 8 - 10 MPH. He did not mention concerns about traction loss.

This information is also around 5 years old so tire designs may have changed since then.
I can see it affecting and the ability to absorb impacts especially at the speed modern farming uses.

However, at the speeds I run which are typically sub 6 mph I doubt it is a problem.

With our use of hobby farming cannot justify the cost of purchasing weights vs free water.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #13  
Hello, I have never heard of loading a tyre with liquid ballast causing a radial to act like a crossply. Had 2 tractors(JD6910 and JD6920), both loaded rear tyres(radial),with a loader. Had an MF135 and MF178 loader (pre JD), both on bias ply tyres, both water ballasted and both rode rougher than the ballasted radial tyres.
When picking up silage bales(1000 kg) on hills it was to dangerous not to have ballast.
NOTE do NOT fill tyre more than 1 o'clock level (manufactures recommendation) , and when checking tyre preassure, manually depress valve to let a little air out to clear the water in the valve. This stops your preassure gauge from rusting up.Even more so with beet juice that is used in cold climes.
2nd reason not to over fill is that the ride will go rough if there is to little air in the tyre to act as a cushion.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #14  
So ya ain't hunting all over the country to replace a rusty rim. I have seen 8n tractors with original good rims. Other old tractors too. We have six tractors, logging equipment, skid steers, all have tubes.
It's becoming rare for anyone to use corrosive fluid these days. But if using CC, yeah add a tube.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #15  
BKT has a decent article about liquid ballast on tires, mainly regarding safety concerns at higher speed and extra load/stress on the drive train. Not really anything about side wall stiffness.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #16  
It's becoming rare for anyone to use corrosive fluid these days. But if using CC, yeah add a tube.
All they use here is water and anti freeze. Seen some terrible tractor rims.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #17  
All they use here is water and anti freeze. Seen some terrible tractor rims.
I've not heard of problems using straight water. But up here we freeze so that's uncommon. The cheapest route is windshield washer fluid. Non corrosive. Freeze proof.

Best part of staying tubeless is repairing a small leak.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #18  
If you road and haul you will see and feel a considerable difference between bolt on iron and liquid fill.
On many of the roads we haul wagons on, liquid fill will cost at least a gear on the hills.
Also a liquid filled tire has more tendency to start hopping at speed.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #19  
I've not heard of problems using straight water. But up here we freeze so that's uncommon. The cheapest route is windshield washer fluid. Non corrosive. Freeze proof.

Best part of staying tubeless is repairing a small leak.
And you can't do anything with a moderate leak. I don't think Ive ever seen a small leak in a tractor tire, unless the valve stem needs tightened. I have a service truck and mainly do mechanic type work, but a lot of tires come along with it. I have fixed some flats in my life.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #20  
I've seen several small leaks in tractor tires over the years. A few we have let go for years just airing the tire up once or twice a week.
Leaks that were hard to find on the mounted tire.