radial tires and liquid ballast

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #31  
My Kubota M7 in going into its 7th season with Michelin radials is ballasted. My Kubota M5-111 going into its second season with Goodyear radials (built by Titan) is ballasted, both with Rim Guard. There is one problem. When the temperature is below zero (F) for several days in a row, the Rim Guard becomes quite viscous and will give you an incredible rough ride when roading until everything loosens up.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #32  
Fluid in tires immediately reduces your tractors reliability compared to cast rims or cast weights.
Immediately, you have to be more careful. The last thing you want to do is make your tractor into a “china doll”.
Just spend the money and get proper cast weights. Heck, I’d run a 3 point weight box before fluid, but then you can’t run rear mount implements.
Reduces your tractor’s reliability. Huh?

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #33  
Fluid in tires immediately reduces your tractors reliability compared to cast rims or cast weights.
Immediately, you have to be more careful. The last thing you want to do is make your tractor into a “china doll”.
Just spend the money and get proper cast weights. Heck, I’d run a 3 point weight box before fluid, but then you can’t run rear mount implements.

How does fluid reduce your reliability? A tire going flat is a damper on work getting done no matter what’s in it.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #34  
How does fluid reduce your reliability? A tire going flat is a damper on work getting done no matter what’s in it.
If you have a flat and lose substantial fluid, like need a tube, you have to pump all the fluid out into a large container. Then pump it back into the tire to match the other tire. But if both tires have air, you just refill with air. If there’s a substantial loss of fluid, where will you get the container and 20 gallons of Rim guard or calcium out in the woods?
That’s lost reliability.
Lost time is the same as lost reliability.
Also, if it’s calcium in the tires and it’s a bad leak, the ground has to also be cleaned up or there will be a kill spot.
More lost time/reliability.

Both happened to me (twice) and it was a day until I was up and running again. Got burned good twice with hay needing to be baled or lose money.

Never again. It’s wheel weights for me. More reliable tractor.

Last edited:
   / radial tires and liquid ballast #35  
Reduces your tractor’s reliability. Huh?
Yep, reduces reliability.
If it takes less hours to repair a tire with air versus more hours to repair a tire with fluid, one can easily see that’s lost reliability.

2 times I had gashes with rim guard and it made a big mess. Then you have to find a tire repair company that can handle the stuff. If you are very lucky, you might get someone later the same day. Then the tire needs pumped out, removed, tubed, or if really bad-replaced, then refilled with same fluid.
Do you really think every tire company is just hovering around with a drum of rim guard or calcium chloride or whatever you run waiting to save your ass when it happens? It could take days. Costs a lot more money when it happens, too. Meanwhile your hay is getting browned in the sun, your rotary cutter isn’t cutting. That’s lost reliability.

If it’s just air with wheel weights, ANY large tire repair can remove tire, tube it and you’re working again.

The difference between you and me is you downplay this because it’s easy to see you’ve never been through it while relying on your tractor to make money.
I’ve been through gashed tires and lost 30-40 gallons of it everywhere and know what the repair time and lost reliability is to myself and my customers. It sucks and it doesn’t happen on government time, it happens on MY time.

Last edited:
   / radial tires and liquid ballast #36  
Yep, reduces reliability.
If it takes less hours to repair a tire with air versus more hours to repair a tire with fluid, one can easily see that’s lost reliability.

2 times I had gashes with rim guard and it made a big mess. Then you have to find a tire repair company that can handle the stuff. If you are very lucky, you might get someone later the same day. Then the tire needs pumped out, removed, tubed, or if really bad-replaced, then refilled with same fluid.
Do you really think every tire company is just hovering around with a drum of rim guard or calcium chloride or whatever you run waiting to save your ass when it happens? It could take days. Costs a lot more money when it happens, too. Meanwhile your hay is getting browned in the sun, your rotary cutter isn’t cutting. That’s lost reliability.

If it’s just air with wheel weights, ANY large tire repair can remove tire, tube it and you’re working again.

The difference between you and me is you downplay this because it’s easy to see you’ve never been through it while relying on your tractor to make money.
I’ve been through gashed tires and lost 30-40 gallons of it everywhere and know what the repair time and lost reliability is to myself and my customers. It sucks and it doesn’t happen on government time, it happens on MY time.
There are lots of full time farmers that I know that use liquid ballast with few problems, so there’s that. We have one on this thread who has been going 7 years without an issue. Your mileage doesn’t seem to be as good.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #37  
I don't and never have. I prefer cast centers myself. Any liquid ballast (CACL or Beet juice or washer fluid) will always entail extra work and expense to fix an issue. Mt tractors require a tire truck to come to the farm and additional expense as well.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #38  
The other underlying issue is, with CACL especially, a leaking tire, leaking CACL will kill the hay or whatever plants it contacts for a long time. Nasty stuff and it rots rims too.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #39  
The other underlying issue is, with CACL especially, a leaking tire, leaking CACL will kill the hay or whatever plants it contacts for a long time. Nasty stuff and it rots rims too.
No one here uses CC. 3 tire businesses in the County with on farm service. They all carry fluid and can handle a fluid filled repair with minimal extra down time.

/ radial tires and liquid ballast #40  
It still takes longer to change a tire with fluid than a tire with air, so there’s that.
Longer downtime equals less reliability.

Plainly obvious You don’t have any idea what it’s like to lose a day with hay on the ground, either. And it could be just as bad if it’s a tractor trying to get property cut before rain coming.
Go ahead and try to talk yourself around it, but you can’t. It‘s called math. Show me a tire guy who can fix a tire filled with fluid faster than one with air and I’ll show you a government worker worth his pay & benefits. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

One guy here that farms uses fluid and that’s your sampling proof? lol Well, bless your heart.

I know more farmers who use cast weight than fluid. Way more and I’m one and you’re not. So there’ s that.

And also: I never said it doesn’t work. I just said it reduces reliability. If you can’t understand that, you’re just ignorant.

Last edited: