Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap

/ Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I use zip ties to wrap up the long ends of ratchet straps when transporting stuff on the lumber rack. It is quick, neat, and fail-safe.

Attachments

• strap.jpeg
    strap.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 572
   / Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #3  
Invest in some if the reusable zip ties. They will pay for themselves over time

If you don’t cut them like the op has done you can open regular zip ties pretty easily and reuse them.

/ Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #6  
That does not secure them on a trailer at speed.

We use short 1” Velcro straps.

Did you watch the video? What he did isn’t going anywhere.

/ Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #7  
That does not secure them on a trailer at speed.

We use short 1” Velcro straps.

maybe you should try it first, they don't go anywhere.

/ Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #8  
Did you watch the video? What he did isn’t going anywhere.
If that works for you, terrific. And it is nice this gentleman discovered this hitch, which has been used on sailboats for 100’s of years. Here’s how halyards and sheets are stored. That hitch even has a name.

Au contrair, at highway speeds the roll needs to be secured or it bounces around. We roll the excess as he did, then attach the role to the tensioned part with Velcro straps as the picture above shows.

This boat weighs a couple tons, and tends to walk backwards on the trailer. We had four straps on it: two over the top and two securing the keel forward on the trailer. If his technique works for you, great! On a 600 mile tow, spending $6 on Velcro straps seemed reasonable. It is very quick and easy to adjust if the load has shifted or compressed.

i-w5MZ7tT-L.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #9  
I would stick with velcro or reusable zip ties. No landfill.

/ Ratchet Strap with Zip Tie Wrap #10  
i used to use zip ties now i use those long orange twisty ties from home depot - can get different sizes and reuse them -