Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #1  

juiceman39

Power King Tractor, FEL and backhoe. There have been problems since towed by a tow truck. I added a new inline pressure gauge after pump and before FEL valve. FEL "out" port plumbed to backhoe "in". Backhoe "out" plumbed to newly added filter and base(none before),then to tank. The backhoe works fine. The probem is the FEL. It did go up once. The pressure varied from 500 to 2000, when using the FEL valve, the pump got hot and was smoking. It did not do this using backhoe valve. One of the lines to the loader cylinder blew, so it had good pressure(old cracked hose) what makes a pump get overly hot? With all the re-plumbing, could air in lines cause this?

thanks
steve

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #2  
Restriction of the flow of oil will make the pump hot-and damage it in short order. These systems are self-bleeding, so air in the line should not be your problem.

I suspect your valve is damaged at this point- I know you tried a bunch of others things IIRC from your other thread?

I am not quite sure why or how it got damaged, but it's about all that's left in your puzzle...A new one will be under $200.

Can you detail better what you re-plumbed?

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem
Originally pump fed backhoe first, then FEL. I reversed it and plumbed the FEL first, then to backhoe to see if this would correct the problem. It seemed when the FEL bucket did go up, I was hitting a sweet spot on the spool, but it was hard to find. you think dirt could be in valve-When removing blown hose, some did use teflon tape on connections. The other plumbing was just the addition of PSI gauge and filter with 1/2" lines and fittings. pressure lines are 3/8" going out of FEL valve.

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #4  
teflon tape is a bad idea on hyd connections pull the valve check for damage o rings and such, dirt, tef tape.

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #5  
Dirt or contamination is a possibility...but with the tow-truck incident I am doubtful that's your problem.

any recommends on new valve. current FEL valve- left handle dumps bucket, & raises it. Right handle raises, lowers unit, plus has a detent(drops bucket to ground) position all the way forward which locks. spring centered. what are "loaded checks on each section" and what is "one spool has float" also "open or closed center". Is 2 spool bolted together better than mono-block(I think mine is this)
The way my valve is now, nothing comes out the bottom, as it mounts flat on a plate.

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #7  
I would take the opportunity to upgrade to a joystick valve, you will have to redo the mount-but it will be a nice upgrade. Look at these two valves from the Surplus Center:

9-7694 or 9-7401

Either will work depending on what the GPM spec on your machine is.

Short answers:

-Load Checks keep the bucket from dropping when the handle is moved
-Float allows the bucket to "float" or follow the contour of the ground, there is no pressure in the lift cylinders when it's engaged. The handle will stay forward also. All modern loaders have this feature.
-Open Center means that fluid can flow through the valve while it's in neutral-all valve on CUT's are open center because the fluid must continuously flow whenever the tractor is running.

Is there someway to test the components. could the cylinders be blown internally bypassing the ram? there was a lot of back pressure put on the cylinders by the tow truck winch cable. I'm just trying to look at everything before I start buying. I have a pressure gauge.

steve

/ Re-plumbed hydraulic's-Still have FEL problem #9  
juiceman39,

Do you have pressure on the cylinder lines when the lever is shifted to raise. For the valve to get that hot, the relief valve is working more than usual. A blocked QD would cause the relief valve to over work. You can always take off hoses and see what comes out if anything. Have a clean bucket handy. When you plumbed for the BH, did you use a PB port? A hot pump could mean the pump is being overworked, or the pump relief valve is working to much. Do you have a full tank of hyd fluid. If it is low, and you work the system hard, every thing will get hot. Is it possible you have the hoses mixed up. Otherwise, fluid going the wrong way in a valve.
What does your fluid look like, and does it smelled burnt.

The valve didn稚 get hot-the pump did-smoking so I turned off tractor. One of the pressure lines blew, so there was good pressure at one of them for sure, but it seemed like it made the pump strain lifting the bucket. I've double checked my lines, and no PB on the FEL valve. the "out of FEL goes to BH. the bigger line from the BH, comes back to the filter, then to tank. the BH did work fine, no stress on pump. I was adding fluid to keep it up. I checked twice and added fluid. I changed the oil so it smelled normal. I do have two QD痴 a pressure and a return to the FEL. I will start with the bucket method on the pressure lines. I pulled a pressure and return line off of the FEL valve and looked in. Foam did come out of one of them, not sure which. Both of the spools are moving back and forth(at least the two close to the handles)

steve