Real questions that you would like to get an answer…

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I wanted to start a thread for real life things that I wondered if people knew the answer for. Can be anything. Hopefully people will hit the reply button with they have experience in and have an answer. Hopefully these are 1 sentence question and answers and each doesn’t need its own thread. I’ll start with mine.

1. What happens if you loan a vehicle to your relative and they get in a wreck, whose insurance pays?

2. If wreck your vehicle off road, single vehicle, do you just call your insurance to make a claim?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #2  
Loan your vehicle - it gets in a wreck. Depends upon several things. Who was at fault. Does your insurance cover others using your vehicle.

Off road accident. Does your insurance cover the vehicle while off-road. This area can get very tricky. If you are covered off-road - - what does the policy say about off-road.

Example - my policy covers only me. No one else. Great reason to NOT loan the Taco Wagon. Off-road - - mine says - - any road or trail recognized by any governmental agency.

I should add - my insurance covers the vehicle while only I am driving it.

Last edited:
   / Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #3  
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
1) In my state the vehicle is what is insured. If my vehicle is in a wreck I'd call my insurance and they would take care of repairing or totaling the car. Same if I loaned my car to someone else and they were involved in a wreck. My insurance would pay no matter who is driving. If the driver of your car caused physical harm to another person the insurance, you and driver you loaned car to may be involved in a lawsuit.
My insurance may investigate the accident and go after the party at fault.
2) Same as #1, you would make a claim to your vehicle insurance.
or
3) if no one else was injured and you are financially able you may have your car fixed on your own dime without a claim

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #4  
1. Normally your insurance pays. If they drove it all the time they should be listed as a regular driver.

2. Yes, if you get in a single vehicle accident you just make a claim.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer…
Ok, another question

How warm, °F, should I keep a basement that isn’t used in the winter to help the main level stay warm in a cold climate?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #6  
It depends on what you mean by “help the main level stay warm.” To keep the main level from loosing ANY heat to the basement, the basement would have to be kept at the same temp as the main level. Some heat loss will occur with any difference in temp. The rate of heat loss is dependent on the difference in temp as well as the insulation value seperating the two levels.

As a practical matter though, if the basement is kept within a few degrees less than the main level, you would likely not be able to see a significant difference in the energy needed to keep the main level warm.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #8  
Ok, another question

How warm, °F, should I keep a basement that isn’t used in the winter to help the main level stay warm in a cold climate?
If you insulate the floor between 1st floor and basement, you could probably get away with 60°-65° in the basement, assuming the basement is in fact, below ground, as opposed to a "walk out" basement.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #9  
If you insulate the floor between 1st floor and basement, you could probably get away with 60°-65° in the basement, assuming the basement is in fact, below ground, as opposed to a "walk out" basement.
I don't think my basement gets that warm in the summer. In the coldest part of the winter I'd say it's closer to 40, yet the first floor is plenty warm. Floor's a bit cold in some rooms.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #10  
Those both sound like questions for your insurance agent. If you legitimately wreak not just tap the bumper a little bit they might want a police report.