Real questions that you would like to get an answer…

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #31  
zero, zero and zero rounds. The odds of an armed break-in are less than 1 percent. Most armed invasions are are committed by someone the owner knows and usually happen during the day when no one is home.

if by chance your house is chosen and gun play happens, it will be over in seconds. If by chance you have a gun in your hands when it happens, pray it isn't plain clothed cops with the wrong address.
I'm not stocking for a random break-in. I'm stocking for war. Military age men crossing the boarder number in the millions. I see mobs of hundreds of anti-semites praising palastein and hamas for the extermination of my people. We have been victims of genocide for the last time.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer…
Like how many cases of ammo in the cabinet? Or like your home defense weapon round capacity?
Ammo available. How much should i own?

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #33  
Firearm ownership is a responsibility. There's skill involved. Anything that involves skill requires practice. Each weapon is a little different, reloads to the point of muscle memory. I like to have at least 1000 rounds through each weapon to ensure that I am a) completely comfortable with it's operation and b) confident in it's reliability and that it won't let me down when it counts. And if it does jam, fail to extract, load, etc I can react in quick fashion.

I have 5k rounds through my ps90, it's my favorite home defense gun due to it's extremely small profile in an sbr form, minimimal recoil, lethality of the round, and magazine capacity. It has never had a malfunction.

My ccw that I had for nearly 20 years had about 10k rounds through it. It was the Ruger P89, and I still have it, but it's no longer my ccw. I can count the malfunctions on one hand, and I suspect it was due to ammo quality, and not a fault of the weapon.

My primary battle rifle I have about 3k rounds through, it's an AR. But I have many AR's, and I like to keep them in regular circulation to keep round counts from going through the roof.

I have numerous subguns in 9mm, scorpion, stribog, ap5, couple ak's, that are lighter and less recoil than AR's that the children can handle when they're looking to shoot something more substantial than a handgun.

So to answer your question, there's no one answer fits all. It depends on what you use it for. Did you buy a 9mm handgun and stash it in a fingerprint safe incase something goes bump in the night, 10 years ago, and nothing has gone bump in the night, so it remains there, undisturbed, and you hope that you'll remember exactly what to do years later if something does go bump in the night? Or are you shooting regularly, to retain your proficiency level?

If you've just got a 9mm and a 12ga, and shoot occasionally, I would say 6 boxes of each if you're not worried about anything coming down the pipes. If you shoot every week, have a few dozen rifles, I would say more. Ultimately, it is what kind of shooting you do. Hell, I have 5k of .22 for varmint's alone.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #34  
🇨🇦 🤠

- I have a single action pellet gun, about 200 pellets, mostly for rodents, or to sting the bear, coyotes
- I have a bear banger, 3 cartridges (had 4, spent one earlier when the bear was 30 ft from me, and moving closer)

I'm glad that I don't really need to think about this too much.

Be Safe

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #35  
I would say it also depends on where and how you live.
For me response time for a sheriff is a minimum of 45 minutes.
We have livestock and are surrounded by National Forest. No neighbors within 1/2 mil.
We currently operate an RV park/campground on part of the property. So protect more than just my stuff.
I guess my potential problems are different than in many. Lots of tweakers and road hunters roaming the backwoods gravel roads looking for an easy mark. Road hunters never seem to never know what they are shooting at (shot a milk cow down the road last year and donkey in the front yard a few years earlier) and a response may be called for. My dogs handle the tweakers with me as security for them.
We also have a more than health population of feral hogs and coyotes to take into account.
I would say about 50% of my meat comes from hunting, the other half from what we raise.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #36  
Given that you can't buy single rounds, and assuming ammo is available to replenish after an attack, one box for each weapon should be enough.

Doug in SW IA

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #37  
🤠

- I have a single action pellet gun, about 200 pellets, mostly for rodents, or to sting the bear, coyotes
- I have a bear banger, 3 cartridges (had 4, spent one earlier when the bear was 30 ft from me, and moving closer)

I'm glad that I don't really need to think about this too much.

Be Safe

Would you really shoot a bear with a pellet gun? I am by no means a bear expert, but that would seem to just make the bear unhappy.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #38  
Would you really shoot a bear with a pellet gun? I am by no means a bear expert, but that would seem to just make the bear unhappy.
I think he was specifying two different guns, one for pellets and one for bear.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #39  
Bear Bangers and Launchers

Scare cartridges (bangers, flares and whistling screamers) are practical, inexpensive, easy-to-use and very effective bear deterrents. They can be fired from pen launchers or pistols. Both systems are highly effective, so the system you choose is simply a matter of personal choice.

/ Real questions that you would like to get an answer… #40  
Having lived through so many bans/scares/panics I'd figure out what you think you use in a year, add 10% and multiply that by four years. So if you use 50 rounds a year, that's ~220 rounds.