Recalling "the year spring got cancelled"

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Just ran into these old pics. It happened march 24 and 25, 2013. A freak spring snow storm. It has been 5 years now. FB_IMG_1522121864990.jpgFB_IMG_1522121764407.jpgFB_IMG_1522121808248.jpgFB_IMG_1522121800860.jpgFB_IMG_1522121716955.jpgFB_IMG_1522121692001.jpg

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #2  
Up this way snow in April, occasionally into Mother's Day isn't that unusual. I once planted peas with my Father on March 31; they got snowed on. It didn't make them come any earlier either, as the ground hadn't warmed up enough.

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #3  
For us here in ohio, measurable snowfall beyond a dusting to an inch is pretty uncommon in march.

But I remember what they call the "blizzard" of 2008. Was a March 8-9th or so storm. ~10" here in central ohio.....which is way above normal regardless of what month of winter it is. Most average snowfalls are ~2-4"

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #4  
It snowed here on April 7th 1938 and 2007, but this year we already have tomatoes on the vine. Weather temp forecast look good, hope they don't miss it, but possible hail tonight.

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #5  
From what we've had here this year, looks like we're repeating March 2013 again. If it does get above freezing, then it rains all day. It has been a long long winter, I've burned more pellets this year than I ever have.

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #6  
Central Michigan and still have a down coat front and center. Looks like Easter week is going to be fridged.

B. John

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #7  
Apparently, we had 9" in parts of central Indiana over the weekend. I was in Lexington, and we had less than 1". I spent all day yesterday, hearing patients and staff talk about the 'crazy weather' over the weekend. When I got back to Indy, there wasn't a bit on the ground Tuesday morning.

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #8  
Apparently, we had 9" in parts of central Indiana over the weekend. I was in Lexington, and we had less than 1". I spent all day yesterday, hearing patients and staff talk about the 'crazy weather' over the weekend. When I got back to Indy, there wasn't a bit on the ground Tuesday morning.

I have a sibling in Indy... they had 8" on the picnic table. It was gone quickly, though.

/ Recalling "the year spring got cancelled" #9  
Up this way snow in April, occasionally into Mother's Day isn't that unusual. I once planted peas with my Father on March 31; they got snowed on. It didn't make them come any earlier either, as the ground hadn't warmed up enough.

Yeah. In northern New England March isn't spring, sometimes April isn't either. Just the way it is, though it's easy to get fooled by a March thaw.
Only beginning to see some bare patches of ground here. Snow's still plenty deep in the shade.

I'll plant peas, carrots and spinach around the 18-20th of May...that's the earliest anything goes in. Gardens here don't go in before Memorial Day, or sometimes even the following week. Don't plant potatoes until mid June (though that's more to offset potato bugs than for weather).