Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
In the market for a new cutter to match my new mx5100.

Don't need a super heavy cutter. Still have the bushhog 306 for the nasty clearing jobs. But it's 10,200 blade speed just sucks for pasture clipping. I don't foresee ever needing more than 1" capacity. And they all seem to have at least that. So emphasis on higher blade speed and cut quality. The rhino se8a seems to have the lowest blade speed @12k. The rest seem to be 15-17k.

Width is also a concern. Alot of the cutters, like all of bushhogs current offerings, are over 102" wide. It's. Concern for trailering reasons.

There was a thread on here maybe 4-5 years ago where, IIRC, someone posted pics of the finish cut of a few different twin spindle cutters. Landpride???? And woods???? Maybe? One was significantly cleaner cut and clipping dispersion than the other. But for the life of me I cannot find that thread.

Due to cost, probably gonna limit me to finding a used one. I am patient and keeping an eye out. Any older models desirable? Or certain ones to avoid ?

Have even considered a 10' if the right deal presents itself. Would need to be a lighter 10'. And I would modify it so the outer foot or so of each side were hinged so I could fold it up to be less than 102" for trailering. Seen some cutters similar that only a portion of the deck, and not the drive line hinged.

Thoughts? Anyone remember that thread I mentioned?

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #2  
Take a look at the Land Pride RCR2596. Overall width is 99 3/4th inches and the blade speed is a blistering 17,749 fpm. Capacity is 1.5 inches. Perfect match for your tractor. I was just mowing yesterday with the heavier 3696 and I can tell you it mows very nice when clipping pastures. No need for a finishing mower here.

I LOVE the ability to mow over stuff in the way and that is one reason I got the heaviest 8 footer I could find. I want the "**** yeah!" instead of the "oh oh" feeling when I'm heading for something big............

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #3  
In my state (MS) if the load falls under "agriculture equipment" some different rules apply for width. I have a 10' Woods that is actually 120" wide and has been moved around a lot with no issue.

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #4  
I have a Bush Hog 3008. It's 105" wide.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465145081.594857.jpg

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #5  
I made a mistake. The Woods cutter is 140" wide

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter
Take a look at the Land Pride RCR2596. Overall width is 99 3/4th inches and the blade speed is a blistering 17,749 fpm. Capacity is 1.5 inches. Perfect match for your tractor. I was just mowing yesterday with the heavier 3696 and I can tell you it mows very nice when clipping pastures. No need for a finishing mower here.

I LOVE the ability to mow over stuff in the way and that is one reason I got the heaviest 8 footer I could find. I want the "**** yeah!" instead of the "oh oh" feeling when I'm heading for something big............

According to their website, the RCR2596 is only 14.5k blade speed. The 2510 is 17.7k though. And your 3696 is 16.6k.

14.5k would probably work just fine though. Like I said, my 6' 306 is 10.2k. And my little 5' cutter is 12.4k. There is a noticeable difference in how the two cut grass. Especially where the tires track. (both with high lift blades). In stemmy vegetation, like ragweed, mustard plat, golden rod, etc....both do well. But grasses....need speed.

In my state (MS) if the load falls under "agriculture equipment" some different rules apply for width. I have a 10' Woods that is actually 120" wide and has been moved around a lot with no issue.

Im not a farmer. Im a business for hire doing mowing of overgrown properties. I think I'd have a hard time with that one on anything over 102" wide

I have a Bush Hog 3008. It's 105" wide.

View attachment 470940

All the bushhog brand 8' cutters seem to be 105" wide.Wonder why they didn't keep it under wide-load territory? Being only 3" too big, I'd probably not pass up a good deal on a used bushhog, but if buying new, I'd rule it off the list for that very reason

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #8  
I've got the LandPride. I like it, seems to cut well. Can't say I've had the same issues that post u reference has had.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465157722.141536.jpg ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465157753.588248.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465157775.115590.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465157797.660357.jpg

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter #9  
LD1, have you thought about getting a 12' flex wing? It would increase your cut width by 50% and would eliminate the wide load trailering concerns.

I know the Rhino 12' flex wing only requires a minimum of 35 PTO HP, so your MX5100 should handle it fine. And it has a higher blade tip speed than the 8 footer.

/ Reccomends me an 8' twin spindle cutter
LD1, have you thought about getting a 12' flex wing? It would increase your cut width by 50% and would eliminate the wide load trailering concerns.

I know the Rhino 12' flex wing only requires a minimum of 35 PTO HP, so your MX5100 should handle it fine. And it has a higher blade tip speed than the 8 footer.

No remotes yet, and I prefer mounted cutters. I don't want to deal with trying to load and unload tow behinds on/off of trailers at the job site.

Not to mention cost.

Holding out hope for a food deal on an 8' cutter though. But I may end up settling for a 7' single. Seem to see them alot more frequently under $1000. And the 8' twins all seem to be 3x that. Not worth it for an extra foot unless I can find a steal.