Reclaiming a long-lost field

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field #51  
Hi Dave,

I enjoyed reading your journey from woods mess to field. Open pasture is great! Wouldn't we all like a rock truck?

If you are still looking for rock pickers, my grandfather is building a stonewall on his property on the coast and would love some!

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field
Welcome, another Mainer on TBN! Getting to be quite a few from around the state.

Well, send your grandfather over. :) The nicer rocks for walls are deep-sixed now. About 2/3 of what I am picking up are the round types that are harder to stack. I wouldn't guess they would be worth hauling that far. The contractor did try a few contacts to see if the decent sections of rock wall could be sold by the truck load for landscaping/hardscaping, but nothing came of it. People do look for the weathered rocks with lichens and moss on them.

I tried out dragging the I-beam today. It is 10' long, 12" high, 8" wide, ~1/2 web, so it should weigh 40 lbs/foot, or about 400 pounds total. It works amazingly well. One pass over rough ground does quite a bit of smoothing. It tends to pop the rocks, chunks and bits of stumps/roots to the surface, which is a good thing for ease of picking. I'm thinking if I clean up what is on the surface after one pass, then make two-three more passes depending on the condition of an area, it should be pretty good.

I looked at a project here on TBN that used a land plane, but I think this may be too rough for those. I don't think land planes are made to deal with large loose rocks, ledge, root chunks and such, they do look good for smoothing and shaping clean dirt. After seeing the results of one pass, I can't imagine a land plane would do any better than the I-beam at this stage. It pulls harder than I thought it would. I was in 5th or 6th gear out of 12 (mid-range 1st or 2nd if you know TC40 gears) running at about 2100 rpms. That seemed to be a good ground speed for the beam to scrape and fill.

The only problem I had is I hooked two small stumps that were missed, and I bet there are a few more in there. That straightened out the connectors I was trying out on the 3/8" chain. I have some 3/8" repair links that I will weld shut for the next try. I need a closed loop at each end of the two chains. Normal hooks would bounce loose since the chain tension isn't constant.

I couldn't find the right combination of clevis sizes that would work together. Any clevis pin that would fit through a 3/8" chain, the clevis is too small to fit around the drawbar clevis I'm using, and likely too weak. The chain fittings rack at TSC was half empty, so maybe they sell what I really need but don't have it well stocked. I'm alternating backhoe and loader work with the I-beam dragging and need to be able to connect an disconnect the chains easily. Fortunately, the chains pass below the backhoe frame.

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field #54  
Good Morning Dave,
Looking forward to some pics of your I beam in action !

Sounds like its doing just what you want from it. Are you going to wait till next year to take in some soil samples for analysis ?

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field #55  
Good Morning Dave,

Sounds like its doing just what you want from it. Are you going to wait till next year to take in some soil samples for analysis ?

+1 :)

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field #56  
Enjoying this thread, and the photos ...

I hate to see old stone walls, in any condition, go, but I guess we have to do what we have to do. Call me old fashioned .. or better yet, traditional.

/ Reclaiming a long-lost field #57  
I've seem many chains made with a center loop for towing stuff, just by running a bolt/2 washers/nut through two links, maybe 8 inches apart.

Often end loops were made the same way, around part of the implement.

Bruce

I've seem many chains made with a center loop for towing stuff, just by running a bolt/2 washers/nut through two links, maybe 8 inches apart.

Often end loops were made the same way, around part of the implement.

Bruce

Thought about that. The largest dia. bolt that normally fits would be 3/8".

Part of the issue is the when the beam hangs up on something, the chain gets a pretty good jolt. It's not like using a hook and applying pressure slowly (usually) when lifting something or even like skidding a tree with the butt off the ground. On the other hand, I was thinking that there needs to be a weak link in there somewhere to avoid serious damage elsewhere. I wouldn't want to look back and see my draw bar laying in the dirt. :laughing:

Maybe I should use a punch to open up two links to accept a 7/16" bolt? What hardness grade bolt would you use?

Good Morning Dave,

I should be dragging again tomorrow. I will get some pics of the I-beam set-up and use. Spent today sweating while digging and picking up rocks. Whew, that sun was intense today!

The speed at which I'm making progress cleaning up makes me think I won't be planting this year. I could see clean-up lasting until it's too wet to do anymore this fall. I should get some samples fairly soon to see if lime is needed. I could get that down this fall and that should give it time to work. I need to ask about bulk lime availability.

Some pics of the I-beam.

I decided to weld the 3/8" repair links together after making 12-link loops. That held up for five hours of dragging today with no problems. I ran slower today in 5th gear of 12 (mid-range 1st gear) @ 1800 rpm and stayed in two-wheel drive to allow for tire slippage if I hooked something solid. Just trying to reduce the shock on the chains by going a bit slower and less power applied.

This gives an overall idea.
DSC03079.jpg

Shaving lumps off sod.
DSC03080.jpg

In deeper, loose dirt it can be carrying a decent load of dirt, rocks and root chunks. Sometimes a root chunk will get caught underneath the beam but eventually it gets dumped out. It often leaves a small pile of roots and rocks where it decides to flip over them. Once in a while the beam will flip over 180 degrees but eventually it flips back to right-side-up.

Just by luck and zero foresight on my part, the backhoe bucket can reach the beam and flip it if desired. I just let the beam do what it wants, the results are not going to change much.
DSC03088.jpg