Red-Neck Mailbox ???

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #41  
There has been a few bad accidents over the years in Illinois where someone hits one of these large mailboxes and launches it in to someone or some other bad result. I think the state dot enforces just a regular mailbox on a post but you still see some different ones on backroads.
I see a lot of mailboxes on heavy steel posts set in concrete, so that the plows don't wipe them out. I don't believe they are legal for the reasons you mention but nobody says anything.

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #42  
How come no one stole those two Holleys?
Standard Holleys like those are about $5 at most swap meets.

1668869567990.png

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #43  
This is the type of mailbox that we have down the street about 1/2 mile away. Rural, but not creative.

View attachment 771059
I have the same style.
My box is at # 3 level, and I can access by simply opening my driver's side window.

But now with winter coming it should be interesting to see them dig them out

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #44  
I have the same style.
My box is at # 3 level, and I can access by simply opening my driver's side window.

Who is responsible for digging them out?
I'm on rural delivery with my own mail box, mine is mounted on a fence post and is one of the large rural boxes.
Here we are responsible for buying and mounting the box per the Postal service requirements, if the mail box is not accesible the mail will not be delivered.

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #45  
I want one of those. Not a fan of bicyclists flooding here from the big city on weekends.
Now that's a Mail Box. If I ever did see one rofl

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #46  
Who is responsible for digging them out?
I'm on rural delivery with my own mail box, mine is mounted on a fence post and is one of the large rural boxes.
Here we are responsible for buying and mounting the box per the Postal service requirements, if the mail box is not accesible the mail will not be delivered.
They need to be so tall and only so far from the road. Check with your post office. I'm sure it's differant in all states.

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #48  
Yup, out here in the “rural” areas, all we have are height and how far back from the roadway it “should be”..

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #49  
I have the same style.

In Quebec, where I am, it is contracted out to a main bidder who then subcontracts to local guys.

Back when I did snow removal I was asked to do the one closest to me as a friend won the local contract.
I was quite surprised as to how well they were paid using private drives as a basis for comparison.

/ Red-Neck Mailbox ??? #50  
Yup, out here in the “rural” areas, all we have are height and how far back from the roadway it “should be”..
Same here in PA. There is also a law that says mailboxes have to be "breakaway" in case someone hits one with a vehicle. The law isn't enforced though since there are many rural boxes around here set in stone, on boulders etc.

Many years ago, we had an incident involving drunk teenagers running over mailboxes on purpose. After the third incident, a property owner here in town had enough. He set an I beam 4' in the ground with a concrete base and put his mailbox on top. Well sure enough, the drunk boys hit it and totaled their pickup. One was killed (no seatbelt) and two others seriously injured.

The property owner was in serious legal trouble that ultimately resulted a hefty fine and some jail time. I suppose the rest of us should be grateful, since the mailbox vandalism stopped. It's a shame it happened in such a tragic way though.