Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun?

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #21  
   / Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #22  
I've bought several saws over the passt 10 or so years, none have had a greaseable tip anymore. That's progress!

Ya, only one of my saws needs it, 455 rancher bought in 2006. Which reminds me, been awhile. I got a real old one in the rafters, but don't use it.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #23  
Ya, only one of my saws needs it, 455 rancher bought in 2006. Which reminds me, been awhile. I got a real old one in the rafters, but don't use it.

You can still grease a sprocket tip even without the little hole in the bar, I pull the chain off and shoot some grease in the tip and spin the sprocket and shoot some more in there. It's a bit more inconvenient on the other saws than it is with the Husqvarna's but doable.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #24  
A lot of them that don't have fittings have a sealed bearing

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #25  
   / Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #26  
I took a chainsaw training course. The guy who taught it (full time logger and instructor) said if you want to grease your bar sprocket you should do it after every tank of fuel. He said the other option is to never grease it. His info was that if you grease it only occasionally the grease prevents the bar oil from reaching the bearing. If you never grease it the bar oil does a fine job of lubing the bearing.

FWIW, I run saws quite a bit. I have kinda a lot of saws and many bars, so my usage is spread out over all of them, but I've never once greased a bar tip and I've never had a single tip failure. I've only been sawing a lot for about 5 years, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but in my opinion dinking around with a grease gun isn't something I need to add to my saw maintenance routine.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #27  
I took a chainsaw training course. The guy who taught it (full time logger and instructor) said if you want to grease your bar sprocket you should do it after every tank of fuel. He said the other option is to never grease it. His info was that if you grease it only occasionally the grease prevents the bar oil from reaching the bearing. If you never grease it the bar oil does a fine job of lubing the bearing.

FWIW, I run saws quite a bit. I have kinda a lot of saws and many bars, so my usage is spread out over all of them, but I've never once greased a bar tip and I've never had a single tip failure. I've only been sawing a lot for about 5 years, so I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but in my opinion dinking around with a grease gun isn't something I need to add to my saw maintenance routine.

A chainsaw training class, interesting and prob very informative, a class like that would have prob saved me a lot of time over the years.

I started running saws before I could legally drive a car, my life at one point was building trails and running four wheelers, those trees get exhausting to cut up with a machete and a hand saw so I started to sneak my dad's mcculloch eager beaver most of the time which made making trails amazing, on bigger stuff I would sneak his Husqvarna Model 55 with a 20in bar.

I pinched a lot of bars in my day, tree didn't fall where I wanted them to ext, it took quite a few years to get good at it, all could have been avoided by a class like you took.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #28  
You can still grease a sprocket tip even without the little hole in the bar, I pull the chain off and shoot some grease in the tip and spin the sprocket and shoot some more in there. It's a bit more inconvenient on the other saws than it is with the Husqvarna's but doable.

The question is, are you wasting time?

Is there any benefit? Is grease even getting in? Is it any better than the bar oil? I don't know answer. But I do know, we do things cause we always did them this way, for to long.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #29  
A chainsaw training class, interesting and prob very informative, a class like that would have prob saved me a lot of time over the years.

I started running saws before I could legally drive a car, my life at one point was building trails and running four wheelers, those trees get exhausting to cut up with a machete and a hand saw so I started to sneak my dad's mcculloch eager beaver most of the time which made making trails amazing, on bigger stuff I would sneak his Husqvarna Model 55 with a 20in bar.

I pinched a lot of bars in my day, tree didn't fall where I wanted them to ext, it took quite a few years to get good at it, all could have been avoided by a class like you took.

I am self taught too. Though I have seen some good videos on youtube last year. Lots of my cutting is for trails, I burn wood at camp too.

Need to slow down and watch kerf, and picture where tree wants to go. I only bought my first wedges in last couple years. Though most of the trees I do are to small for them. I also find making a bunch of cuts next to each other negates there use some.

I wish I had a logger to teach me when I started out, and even now.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #30  
I took a chainsaw training course. The guy who taught it (full time logger and instructor) said if you want to grease your bar sprocket you should do it after every tank of fuel. He said the other option is to never grease it. His info was that if you grease it only occasionally the grease prevents the bar oil from reaching the bearing. Ie.

Interesting.

The difference between grease and dirt, is time. Which is many things are going sealed, I suspect. Plus why not make life easier? We have electric start cars now too. You can argue we live in disposibe age. But somethings are better off sealed for dirt.