Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun?

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #41  
The question is, are you wasting time?

Is there any benefit? Is grease even getting in? Is it any better than the bar oil? I don't know answer. But I do know, we do things cause we always did them this way, for to long.

Grease holes are put a certain spot for a reason and that would be to help grease to the the bearing. Putting grease on the outside of the sprocket won't necessarily flow to the inside of the bearing sprocket, and in all likely hood it won't. It won't hurt anything but it won't help except for a minute of running.

Using a small hand greaser every tank takes about 5 seconds to do while the saw is laying on the side so not much time is taken. I did burn up two sprockets an hour or so apart on two different saws because I have become lackadaisical in my greasing, I am assuming. So they do burn up.

My Stihl doesn't have a grease hole but the dealer said the Stihl chains are designed to force oil into the sprocket. But I have many chains that aren't Stihl chains, so now what do I do? I guess I'll go talk to my friendly Stihl dealer.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #42  
Grease holes are put a certain spot for a reason and that would be to help grease to the the bearing. Putting grease on the outside of the sprocket won't necessarily flow to the inside of the bearing sprocket, and in all likely hood it won't. It won't hurt anything but it won't help except for a minute of running.

Using a small hand greaser every tank takes about 5 seconds to do while the saw is laying on the side so not much time is taken. I did burn up two sprockets an hour or so apart on two different saws because I have become lackadaisical in my greasing, I am assuming. So they do burn up.

My Stihl doesn't have a grease hole but the dealer said the Stihl chains are designed to force oil into the sprocket. But I have many chains that aren't Stihl chains, so now what do I do? I guess I'll go talk to my friendly Stihl dealer.

Here's another great tidbit from Madsen's: "Some users have found periodic tip greasing can actually cause tips to fail. The engineers at Oregon believe this is caused by debris getting pushed into the bearing during lubrication -- not the grease. Debris accumulates in the grease hole and lubrication passage. When the tip is greased, this debris travels with the grease into the bearing. Other manufacturers have found this, too, which is why some bar tips are made without lubrication holes."

It's from this page Guide Bar Nose Maintenance (yes they have a whole page for bar tip maintenance).

So yes, in my opinion it's absolutely a waste of time.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #43  
I bucked on a landing for a few winters 10 hrs. a day and never greased the tip until I came home each night flipped & clean out the bar groove and greased the tip then. Never had one fail the bar wore out first.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #44  

My guess, is they all do now. Stihl may tell you there design is better. I am not really sure the differences, or you really design the chain, they look the same. Maybe some subtle difference, I never really looked.

Last 2 saws, stihl and husky, did not come with grease point for sprocket.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #45  
My guess, is they all do now. Stihl may tell you there design is better. I am not really sure the differences, or you really design the chain, they look the same. Maybe some subtle difference, I never really looked.

Last 2 saws, stihl and husky, did not come with grease point for sprocket.

Different chains do have subtle differences. I took a couple chains to the dealer to be shortened. One of them he couldn't as the stihl parts wouldn't work.

/ Refillable Chain Saw (Nose) Grease Gun? #46  
I never have figured out how a spinning sprocket can get bar oil in the bearings. I kinda liken it to a spinning wheel. Put anything (water, oil) on a spinning wheel and see how far that travels to the center. Inertia throws everything away from center. I don't see how it happens.

^^^^^^^