Regarding 4x4...

/ Regarding 4x4... #31  
To answer another question there were some early 4WDs that were not articulated - IH 4166, Case 70 series and a few others - but they all had drivetrain issues. Steiger and Versatile were articulated and the others soon copied.

This reminded of a County tractor that I saw on a show from the UK that used to air on RFD-TV.

County-Tractor.jpg

Steve

/ Regarding 4x4... #33  
I don't recall windup being a problem on the counties. I think the driveshaft to each front wheel had a lot to do with it.

/ Regarding 4x4... #34  
Daugen, In my area the hills are ridges and mainly flat topped and the best ground was on top. The ridges are 500-700 ft high. Yes the view awesome.
Find the central north island volcanos and draw a line due west, and half way to the coast is the area I farmed in.

/ Regarding 4x4... #35  
I'll bet that thing would hop around the corner!

sweet looking tractor though...looks like a Ford built in England
most of us have never heard of County tractors

Redman, bet you sure kept away from the edges of a 700 foot drop...I hate heights...better you than me.

/ Regarding 4x4... #36  
Some of you guys must have no faith in the any Kubota engineers... or you might be thinking these tractors are "delicate". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The one or two time I've driven in 2 wheel drive.... I go on a run-a-way slide!!
My JD pops out of 4wd and it will pop out of 2wd on occasion. I live on a hill and was clearing up behind the house and had a good load in the FEL bucket and was driving down the road to dump in my burn pit when it popped out of 4wd and took off like a rocket, then it popped out of 2wd and I am still flying and racking up frequent flier miles, brakes are worthless and my efforts to get it back in gear are fruitless, I cross another road and go over the dam on my pond and land down in the middle of it it. With luck it was dry season and pond was dry, I was thankful the seat in my JD is JD Yellow and how me and that tractor stayed UPRIGHT I have no earthly idea, but I can assure that ride would rival anything at any 6 flags park.

/ Regarding 4x4... #37  
This has been debated here on TBN for years. Road vehicles like pick-up trucks are not the same as a tractor unless your tractor spends most of its time on the road.

Leave it in 4wd all the time or only when you need it all comes down to a matter of preference. There is no wrong answer _except_ when it comes to pavement.

However, I do not buy into the philosophy that keeping it in two wheel drive most of the time is conserving anything at all or promoting the longevity or reliability of your tractor. A good 4wd tractor is designed to be used in 4wd. 4wd is not an afterthought or a patch job on a good tractor. Yes, of course there is wear on the system but other components wear when 4wd is not engaged unless conditions are extremely mild.

The only downside to using 4wd all the time, that I can think of, is front tire wear. The fronts on my tractor are slightly overdriven compared to the rears. Leaving it in 4wd probably adds a miniscule amount of extra wear. But in ten years of being in 4wd all the time, my fronts have easily got another 5-10 years of wear on them. Plus, when in 2wd and turning tightly the fronts will often 'plow' so that is some degree of additional wear (and poor handling) you get from running just in 2wd.

Moral of the story: do what seems best....except using 4wd on pavement...........especially if your fronts are slightly overdriven like mine.

/ Regarding 4x4... #38  
My JD pops out of 4wd and it will pop out of 2wd on occasion. I live on a hill and was clearing up behind the house and had a good load in the FEL bucket and was driving down the road to dump in my burn pit when it popped out of 4wd and took off like a rocket, then it popped out of 2wd and I am still flying and racking up frequent flier miles, brakes are worthless and my efforts to get it back in gear are fruitless, I cross another road and go over the dam on my pond and land down in the middle of it it. With luck it was dry season and pond was dry, I was thankful the seat in my JD is JD Yellow and how me and that tractor stayed UPRIGHT I have no earthly idea, but I can assure that ride would rival anything at any 6 flags park.

Sounds like your tractor's 4wd needs a repair. As has been mentioned here many times, 4wd, when engaged, gives you front braking. If you live and work on hills, 4wd is your friend when it comes to safety and control. A tractor that pops out of 4wd would be very dangerous on my place...as it sounds like it was on yours!

/ Regarding 4x4... #39  
Sounds like your tractor's 4wd needs a repair. As has been mentioned here many times, 4wd, when engaged, gives you front braking. If you live and work on hills, 4wd is your friend when it comes to safety and control. A tractor that pops out of 4wd would be very dangerous on my place...as it sounds like it was on yours!
Bought it new and its never not popped out of 4wd, was told that was normal at the JD place...go figure. My BET is that now that its out of warranty I would hear a different story and it would cost $$$$

/ Regarding 4x4... #40  
This has been debated here on TBN for years. Road vehicles like pick-up trucks are not the same as a tractor unless your tractor spends most of its time on the road.

Leave it in 4wd all the time or only when you need it all comes down to a matter of preference. There is no wrong answer _except_ when it comes to pavement.

However, I do not buy into the philosophy that keeping it in two wheel drive most of the time is conserving anything at all or promoting the longevity or reliability of your tractor. A good 4wd tractor is designed to be used in 4wd. 4wd is not an afterthought or a patch job on a good tractor. Yes, of course there is wear on the system but other components wear when 4wd is not engaged unless conditions are extremely mild.

The only downside to using 4wd all the time, that I can think of, is front tire wear. The fronts on my tractor are slightly overdriven compared to the rears. Leaving it in 4wd probably adds a miniscule amount of extra wear. But in ten years of being in 4wd all the time, my fronts have easily got another 5-10 years of wear on them. Plus, when in 2wd and turning tightly the fronts will often 'plow' so that is some degree of additional wear (and poor handling) you get from running just in 2wd.

Moral of the story: do what seems best....except using 4wd on pavement...........especially if your fronts are slightly overdriven like mine.

I tend to agree with this.

My dad generally leaves all of his tractors in 4WD from the time the dealer drops them off. He has 10s of thousands of hours spread out on several tractors. Never, not even 1 issue with the drivetrains. He also has a paved driveway about 1/2 mile long that accesses various areas of his property. He has many many miles on pavement.

Front tire wear is more than normal.