Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #11  
My gut tells me to just walk away from this project...

Thoughts?
As a stranger peeking in through the window, I would follow your gut.

Memorializing it with a registered letter to your friends business from your insurance agent and/or attorney would put everyone on notice, "Beware of Dog".

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #12  
Don't touch that and let it be known why you aren't touching it so they can rectify it by either having you to fix it or hiring someone else to do it.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #13  
Could you bill him (in some detail) for the flatbed removal? This tells of your involvement and where it ended.
Then be done with this one.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #14  
What if partners friend says you cut it? How do you get out of that? Did your friend text that the other guy was putting dump bed on?

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #15  
That beware of dog is only if you own the property and you own the dog. Clearly poster owns neither the property nor the dog.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #16  
Could you bill him (in some detail) for the flatbed removal? This tells of your involvement and where it ended.
Then be done with this one.
Agree. You want to make it known that you did not participate in the frame alteration.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist.
Yes....my weekly billing to them includes and itemized list of work completed.

And.....the person that cut the cross member out posted on Facebook the pictures of the bed install.

Not specifically the cross member. The the pictures of HIM installing the bed.

I don't think there is a worry for me being blamed for removing the cross member. My buddy/owner/president of the company is aware of who did what, and all verifiable via texts and emails. And my recommendation to replace the crossmember and that as it sits....the truck is unsafe to drive. At the end of the day, it's their decision what to do with that information. But he has been made aware that I am no longer working on said truck for this reason. But it's not like I can hold a gun to their heads and force them to do anything

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #18  
For your buddy's sake, you might suggest that some of the removed strength might be replaced by "tying" the dumps subframe @ the cylinder mount (where the x member was removed) to the frame of the truck. This cylinder support should be one of the "beefier" parts on the whole dump, but you're not going to do it.
I wouldn't lose sleep over this deal, not one minute.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #19  
Working in the towing market, I know any modification to the vehicle frame voids warranty and makes the owner liable so adding the hyrdo lift is clearly changing the frame and how it's loaded. Structurally that cross member is needed and at least should be replaced with something as strong or stronger to support the load. Even drilling a hole can change loads on the frame.

Now that said, testing of frames and designs of them are built with huge safety factors as the OE never wants to go to court for a failure in the field. Can that cross member be cut, yes. Should it be replaced, yes. Is the fix going to destroy the truck, no. I've been designing full frame hitches, goosenecks, and 5th wheels for the last 19 years if that gives me any credit. I would take a piece of 2 1/2" - 1/4" tube, bend it to go under the cylinder and over the exhaust, drill out the rivets from the old cross member and bolt the new tube to the old mounting holes with a couple plates welded to it.

As far as the partners buddy, I would tell your friend that he needs to understand that you're being put in a difficult situation and you just want to do the best work you can. haphazardly cutting out crossmembers creates more work and concern for you that you don't want. they should be able to understand that if they're responsible. If not, maybe you should walk away.

/ Removing a frame cross member for dump hoist. #20  
Interesting story.

I do mechanical work (equipment, trucks, trailers, etc) a few days a week for a buddy's landscape company.

This buddy has a partner that I don't really get along with and is a worthless POS in my opinion.

My latest project involved removing a flatbed from a 2005 F450 and putting on a used dump bed they purchased.

Last Monday....I got the flat bed removed...which was wired (lights and trailer plug) in a whether tight box. I wrote on a tablet wire colors and where they all went and left the box wired to the truck so I only needed to rewire lights and trailer plug when nee bed was on.

The owner I don't like text me that night and said don't worry bout coming in because he was gonna clean and paint the frame. Well all he did was a 2-rattle can job...lol. Totally removed all the wiring to the truck box and just thought I'd figure it out 🤬

Anyway....I digressed. Rather than let me install the bed....de decided he wanted the glory of doing it himself. And in doing so....he cut out the cross member that ties the frame rails together right at the front spring perches.

This kinda irritated me that he wanted to take over the project.....but now it's at a point I don't want to touch the truck for safety/liability reasons.

See, I'm a contractor. And buddy's partner that I don't like makes that known every chance he gets. And if something happens I don't want it coming back on me for working on this truck since I'm the contracted "professional".

My gut tells me to just walk away from this project....but I thought about a waiver. Have them sign a waiver releasing me of any liability regarding this truck/frame/cross member. Because I don't know just how structurally important it is. Probably something I would do if it was a beater wood hauling truck or something.

But I worry a waiver is an admission to knowing there was a safety concern...that would now be documented....and wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

Thoughts?
Dear Sir, I think your best bet is to speak to a lawyer.
He can explain your liabilities in this situation and his advice helps you in future projects. Also do you have some insurance to protect yourself. I ran a business for 40 years and it is amazing how friendships can fail under financial stress.