Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #1  

astrohip

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4105, Kawasaki Mule PRO-FXT LE, Bad Boy ZT
I have a nice grove of Live Oaks that I'm looking to clean under. It has several small trees & shrubs growing underneath, none larger than 2-3 inches in diameter. Can I pull them out with my tractor? I have a Deere 4105, about 42HP.

I'm thinking of using these, one for the small trees, the other for brush. Do these work, and are there any better ways to do this?

Brush Grubber Brush Grubber Xtreme, Model# BG-11 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

Brush Grubber Shrub/Clump Grubber, Model# BG-16 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks!

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #2  
I used my BX2200 to clear hundreds of brush, saplings and trees up to 3" with the FEL. Worked well.
I think your 42hp would have no trouble.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #3  
Same here with an L 3800 and BX 2370. You will surely have no issue with your 4105. A tooth bar or grapple on the loader is very helpful. Also, for 3" or smaller, you could bush hog them if you wanted. I prefer the tooth bar or grapple though because you can get roots and all and have less chance of regrowth.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #4  
If your live oak is the type that has many roots near the surface you DON'T want to be digging with a tooth bar.

Pulling with those grubbers or cutting with a rotary cutter would be much better.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #5  
I have done the same also, I have a 4200 John Deere, roughly have the size of yours, 26 horsepower on the engine. I have cleaned out a lot of brush and saplings with the front end loader. Here is the before shot of a fencerow clean out. I'll have to post after in a different post. LUTT

Attachments

• image-493793587.jpg
    image-493793587.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 808
   / Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #6  
I really prefer a puller for this task. Not sure if you have hydraulics to run one though.

This puller can be used on my FEL or on the 3pt as shown. requires one hydraulic circuit to open/close the jaws.

20160223_155232 (1280x720).jpg 20160223_155242 (1280x720).jpg

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #7  
Here is the after. Just a little farther down the fence row. It takes a learning curve to skim and just get the saplings and brush. Try not to get much dirt, you can roll the dirt out of your brush and saplings. Sometimes it's a lot of backing up and pulling forward. A toothbar or grapple would be ideal. Neither I have yet. It's on the radar. But I have done a lot of clearing underbrush this way. LUTT

Attachments

• image-571093318.jpg
    image-571093318.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 692
   / Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #8  
I don't have a puller.....would be nice. I have cleared several acres of blackberry bushes and small alders (2 to 3 inches) with a Piranha toothbar. It worked very well on my small Yanmar 186D. I push the alders over.

BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #9  
The 'Grubber' pullers work very good...but they work a whole bunch better if you have a ground man...otherwise it's a lot of getting on and off the tractor...

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #10  
The 'Grubber' pullers work very good...but they work a whole bunch better if you have a ground man...otherwise it's a lot of getting on and off the tractor...

Yep. Never used a Grubber but have pulled plenty with a chain. Gets old real fast by yourself!!! :)