Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #11  
The 'Grubber' pullers work very good...but they work a whole bunch better if you have a ground man...otherwise it's a lot of getting on and off the tractor...

I agree. I used the grubber a lot in the past few years with a 3120, 29hp, but it is slow alone. I can sometimes park the tractor and get several in one area with a long chain before moving, but that depends on the roots. I have found the most strength on mine from laying the bucket flat and curling in the chain, or using the 3 point and lifting straight up with it. On some stubborn ones I have wrapped the chain around my weight box, lowered it to just above the brush stump, attached the grubber, then while lifting up, I back over it in four wheel low. It will ease out some bigger stumps but it is still slow and I have bent the upright top link on the box when I attached it too high. I plan to try to use it with a jack or engine puller this spring to see if it is any quicker. I would move it in the woods with the tractor and then just lower the unit down to the stump. If you search 'stump puller' on this site there have been some real good ideas posted in the past. Some of the more talented members have made some real effective attachments for their area and machines. Good luck.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor
Well, I've been out on the tractor all day, mowing fence line trails, and come back to lots of great ideas! I'll sift thru them and be back with more questions, I'm sure.

Thanks!

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #14  
Well, I've been out on the tractor all day, mowing fence line trails, and come back to lots of great ideas! I'll sift thru them and be back with more questions, I'm sure.

Thanks!

We need pics to know what you are dealing with.

I had success clearing brambles and saplings in soft ground with clamp on pallet forks. I'd lower them to the ground level, raise the rear a little bit, then drive forward burying the forks under the roots. Then curl back, ripping everything up. But if your oaks have a lot of surface roots that would also rip up the oak roots.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #15  
I have a nice grove of Live Oaks that I'm looking to clean under. It has several small trees & shrubs growing underneath, none larger than 2-3 inches in diameter. Can I pull them out with my tractor? I have a Deere 4105, about 42HP.

I'm thinking of using these, one for the small trees, the other for brush. Do these work, and are there any better ways to do this?

Brush Grubber Brush Grubber Xtreme, Model# BG-11 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

Brush Grubber Shrub/Clump Grubber, Model# BG-16 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

Thanks!

I bought the large grubber last year and only used it once.

Our farm is between Burton and Round Top and plan on using the grubber a lot in the coming weeks.

I will let you know how it works and would appreciate any tips you develop for its use.

I will be pulling with a JD 5045D.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor
I bought the large grubber last year and only used it once.

Our farm is between Burton and Round Top and plan on using the grubber a lot in the coming weeks.

I will let you know how it works and would appreciate any tips you develop for its use.

I will be pulling with a JD 5045D.
Hello to a neighbor! I'm on FM2621, about 2 miles from Independence.

Did you only use it once because it just worked out that way, or because you didn't like it?

The part that concerns me is the many comments above about how challenging it is for one person to use--the on & off the tractor routine can get old quick. But I'm not sure what good alternatives I have?

I'll post a pic in a couple days when I'm back there. I had to come to Houston for my brother's retirement party.:cool2:

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #17  
Another vote for ratchet rake. But keep in mind it is not designed to be a tooth bar for digging holes. But it works great for clearing brushy areas.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #18  
I have a brush grubber. I think it is a model BG-01. I love that thing. Everyone is right about the on and off the tractor part. My wife likes to help me but cant retract the grubber. It has strong springs to keep it on the brush before tightening the pull with the tractor. But it really grabs the brush/small trees and does not let go.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #19  
3 years ago I was asked to help neighbor clear a long unused drive that was overgrown with 6-7 ft trees.
I say drive as it had a decent gravel roadbed base so it was tough to dig.

My solution was to quickly weld up one heavy duty tooth similar to clamp on forks.

For my 'tooth' I used 20-24 inch old axle I had laying around and cut to a crude sharp point and welded the h..l to a clamp on affair.

Technique was to tilt down and drive the 'tooth' under the root ball and tilt up and away.
It worked like a charm and we extracted some 60-70 crazy mix* of 6-7 ft trees (saplings) in no time at all without a single clump of earth.
Simple back grading restored the roadbed to 'close to new'. (with 'tooth' removed)

* mix consisted of cedar, spruce maple and some ash.

Having clamp on forks and destroyed my share of lawn is what gave me the Idea.

/ Removing Small Trees & Shrubs with a Tractor #20  
Hello to a neighbor! I'm on FM2621, about 2 miles from Independence.

Did you only use it once because it just worked out that way, or because you didn't like it?

The part that concerns me is the many comments above about how challenging it is for one person to use--the on & off the tractor routine can get old quick. But I'm not sure what good alternatives I have?

I'll post a pic in a couple days when I'm back there. I had to come to Houston for my brother's retirement party.:cool2:

Just worked out that way.

It is heavy and will take some time to determine ease of use.

We are on an old German family farm (Wife's family) on Hwy 237 just off 290 going to Round Top.

La Bahia Dance Hall is across the highway.

Last edited: