Renovating my house in the suburbs

/ Renovating my house in the suburbs #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
Well i know this isn't exactly rural living but I figured I'd post a thread to share anyway.

My wife and i just welcomed a baby girl into this world in July and logically that sounded like a good time to buy a house. So we actually closed on a new house June 30.

We were living in a smaller place near the beach that had no yard to speak of and at 1700sq ft we wanted a little more space. Also being by the beach parking was cramped and any time visitors came it was a musical cars situation. Also, an HOA meant additional restrictions.

The house we found to buy was bigger at 2200sq ft and on a large corner lot almost a quarter acre. It was originally a 1400sq ft single story built in the early 80s but the previous owner had done an 800sq ft renovation that added a larger kitchen, dining room, and second story with master bedroom and bath. The addition was all permitted and done in 1996. No HOA and plenty of street parking... and about three miles to the beach so still in the same town we were in.

Condition wise the home was in pretty good shape overall since the owner had spent some money fixing up all the wood that termites had been feasting on for years (termites are the single biggest nuisance here in San Diego), and repainted the interior and exterior before listing. It had been a rental for 9 years which did mean a few things were messed with and didn't work... like a few outlets and all ceiling fans were not switching on.

Once we made our offer we moved as quickly as possible to close before the baby came... she was due July 23 and closing was scheduled for July 9. But our lender was able to move even faster and we closed on June 30. This meant I could get in there for almost three weeks and get the minor renovations done before moving in. Perfect timing... right? Ha.

Got into the home and we already had a game plan. A very aggressive game plan but a game plan nonetheless. Now I had previously renovated a house myself over about eight months but that was a much more involved project.

For this house we wanted to do flooring, baseboards, paint the interior, and redo the railing on the staircase. We agreed to not touch the bathrooms for now but did need to address the kitchen. I knew that I didn't want to spend a ton of money on really nice hardwood flooring and then come back a year later and renovate the kitchen. All changes to the interior footprint needed to be done before the flooring. So basically this meant either leave the kitchen and don't redo the flooring there, or put in a new kitchen... in three weeks. So of course I decided to put in a new kitchen.

At this point obviously it's September and three weeks after June 30 was July 20 so I'll let you figure out whether I was on time. I won't even mention the on budget part.

I'll go back in time post replies to this thread with photos from the different stages.

/ Renovating my house in the suburbs #2  
Congratulations on the new baby!

The most hectic time in our lives was in 2013 -- having a baby in March, moving into a new house in May (that we had been building for 10 months prior), and then fixing up the old house and selling it in July. In retrospect, I would never attempt to do any two of those things in the same timeframe, much less all three. When a new baby comes (especially the first) it's hard to do anything else, much less rearrange living arrangements!

/ Renovating my house in the suburbs #3  
Congratulations on the new baby!

The most hectic time in our lives was in 2013 -- having a baby in March, moving into a new house in May (that we had been building for 10 months prior), and then fixing up the old house and selling it in July. In retrospect, I would never attempt to do any two of those things in the same timeframe, much less all three. When a new baby comes (especially the first) it's hard to do anything else, much less rearrange living arrangements!

My "baby" just turned 49.

/ Renovating my house in the suburbs
Alright here's what we're starting with. At least in terms of areas I want to address.

My wife is a fan of interior design and I enjoy smashing things and putting them back together so we make a good team for this sort of thing. I'm usually off the opinion that I'll smash it now to force myself to fix it... definitely not shy about renovation.

With this house the exterior definitely has some hints at spanish architecture and being in San Diego wev really like that anesthetic and wanted to carry that into the house a bit. At this point the house is kind of more traditional on the inside.

As for the photos attached here...

The staircase is probably our least favorite part of this house. When you walk in, you're looking right at the underside of a long, narrow staircase and it just kind of hits you as an eye sore. So we need to do something about that. Decided to put a curve in the underside to fill in some of that empty space and we actually have seen those curved undersides in Spanish architecture. Also, a tasteful wrought iron stair railing would be nicer. Finishing off the entry way we'll add a new chandelier.

There are two rooms with fireplaces downstairs. One is originally wood burning but seems to have been converted to gas and the other is a drop in gas unit. I'll be framing out some superficial decorative walls to mimic visible interior chimney lines on both of these, and doing some tile work on the original brick fireplace. The gas one I'm hoping to just do the decorative frame around it and maybe replace the doors.

In the living area that you walk into from the entry, we want to replace the existing pocket doors with larger pocket doors inside an archway. Technically the width will be the same but the height will increase by almost a foot. Also we want to widen the existing entry it the kitchen which is currently a very small doorway.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that we need to put about 30 can lights in the house because there is very little in the way of lighting. 20200612_161834.jpeg20200606_124914.jpeg20200625_185004.jpeg20200606_124904.jpeg20200619_124607.jpeg20200619_125315.jpeg

/ Renovating my house in the suburbs #5  
Being able to do the work yourself is a huge advantage but I know how difficult it is dealing with a job at work and a job at home. When I was having kids, it was the same way. Could not afford to get a contractor for most stuff. I was lucky and my wife could stay at home and look after the kids. If she had kept working, we could have had more done by contractors but we made the right choice for us. I remember her helping me put up 12' sheets of drywall when she was 7 months pregnant.

Hope you do not run into material shortages during this Covid thing. Enjoy the new family addition and the new house.

I realize I don't have many photos of the exterior but here's one I found on the internet. No big plans for the exterior yet. genMid.200023940_0.jpeg

Okay, the fun part... destroying stuff.

Biggest job here is full demo of the kitchen and blasting out all of that ceramic tile, which is at least 400sq ft.

We got the keys at 5pm on June 30. I showed up with a few tools and snapped this photo at 6pm. No turning back now!

First order of business was to figure out what was going on inside the soffit in the kitchen. We wanted to get rid of all of these soffits and just have the vaulted ceiling in the kitchen. But knowing what I know about electricians and plumbers, they probably used those soffits to run everything.

Poked into the low decorative soffit and all I see is one line of romex and a plumbing vent. Easy!20200630_175637.jpeg

Day 2. Just smashing everything in sight. My brother and our long time handyman came over to help. I'm not sure why I didn't hire more hands for this... I always forget how hard demo work is. All of this stuff is designed to not break and here we are trying to break it.

Got 40 yard dumpster... never renovate without one. Never pile all your trash in the garage. Lessons I've learned. If you have to pile trash, pile it outside so you'll be forced to clean it up or be the neighbor with a pile of trash in your driveway.

Today I'm just focused on the kitchen... removing the old appliances and hoping to make a much progress as possible on demo. Little things like removing carpet pad, glue, tack straps and a house full of baseboard trim take forever and are surprisingly tiring.

I rented a 20lb hammer drill to bust up the fully floated tile backsplash and countertop. I've seen these before and I knew right away that it would be floated and the best tool for the job is a demo hammer with a wide chisel bit. It's actually the vibration that loosens everything up and the tiles fall off leaving the thinset backing.

Cabinets were installed extremely well and everything was both screwed and glued together. Wanted to salvage the cabinets but eventually we gave up on that plan and busted out the Sawzall.

Tip: get those aggressive demo blades for your Sawzall. Don't use old dull multipurpose sawzall blades. 20200701_113251.jpeg20200701_093435.jpeg20200701_113256.jpeg20200701_113252.jpeg

Day 2 demo... spent eight hours running a 20lb demo hammer and don't even know where I am at this point.

I knew going in that the entire kitchen backsplash and countertop was a full float... the best way to demo that is with a demo hammer. It shakes everything up and the tiles fall down. The counters are best to basically chop into sections and not try to break everything up. They'll be heavy but this is the easiest way I've found.

Kitchen cabinets were installed EXTREMELY well. Nearly impossible to remove without destroying as they were all screwed and glued together. So, sawzall was brought in for that.

Poked into the soffits above the cabinets to see how much trouble I was in for with electrical. As expected, one side is like grand central station and the other side is pretty empty. If I can i might just notch the studs, run the lines horizontal as they were, and cover with nail plates and move on. That is if it's too much to reroute everything.

Oh, here's a tip. When you're breaking up ceramic tile with a jackhammer, wear sleeves and a full face shield. We found pieces of tile flying up on to the second floor from the work being done on the first floor. Oh and I took a few shots in the face.

Dumpster filing up quickly.20200701_125206.jpeg20200701_113252.jpeg20200701_130558.jpeg20200701_141440.jpeg20200701_125312.jpeg

Oh oops, I thought that other post was lost. I guess it got posted.