Replace 1156LL head light with LED

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED
I checked out the polarity on the LED and on the tractor. The base of the LED is (+) and the base of the Tractor socket is (-). The feed to the lights comes in to the right light and jumps to the left one. I am thinking of cutting the feed, installing connectors and swapping polarity. Is there any reason not to do that? Suggestions on what type of connector to use? Thanks

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #12  
I checked out the polarity on the LED and on the tractor. The base of the LED is (+) and the base of the Tractor socket is (-). The feed to the lights comes in to the right light and jumps to the left one. I am thinking of cutting the feed, installing connectors and swapping polarity. Is there any reason not to do that? Suggestions on what type of connector to use? Thanks

For certain you have verified bulbs work when 12v is applied?

Some of these bulbs are susceptible to ground issues. Also, some types may require a resistor for proper operation. Your bulbs may be for some other application, but promoted as 12v automotive use. If they are reversed polarity or otherwise not correct, ditch them and get the correct bulbs.

If I understand your post, you are thinking of changing the sockets on the tractor? Why? The reason to adapt a possibly incorrect, cheapie bulb to work in this situation escapes me.

For certain you have verified bulbs work when 12v is applied?

Some of these bulbs are susceptible to ground issues. Also, some types may require a resistor for proper operation. Your bulbs may be for some other application, but promoted as 12v automotive use. If they are reversed polarity or otherwise not correct, ditch them and get the correct bulbs.

If I understand your post, you are thinking of changing the sockets on the tractor? Why? The reason to adapt a possibly incorrect, cheapie bulb to work in this situation escapes me.

Yes, The LEDS work fine with 12V applied.

The 1156LL bulbs are not very bright and I use the tractor at night to plow and blow snow. The LED replacements are super bright and draw fewer amps. I am not thinking of changing the sockets on the tractor. I am thinking of reversing the polarity so the LEDs will work. I am surprised that the center of the tractor socket is (-), isn't it usually (+) and the frame (-)? That is how the LED is set up.

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #14  

Personally I would think the base should be + and the side - so I’m surprised the tractor is wired like you mention. If you change it then any incandescent bulb in the future will work fine. The only regret may be any future led bulb that doesn’t have a circuit for dealing with reverse polarity like you are dealing with now. Personally I’d switch it, but I’m surprised you can’t maybe alter the plug or connector that’s already there (maybe there is none?).

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #15  
Make the base + and the side - for each lamp. This is the standard. The LED will work and if you go back to incandescent they will also work.

Look at an old 1157 bulb (or any other dual filament bulb) typically used for running lights and turn signals. It has two +'s at the base to handle the two + circuits and the side is grounded.

How you elect to do this is up to you.

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #16  
I cut and swapped the wires on my B2610 when it had about 4 hours on it. Just approaching the 50 hr mark and no issues, as I expected. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would make the body of the socket the + and the pin -. Standard in every other wiring I have seen is always case ground, so as far as I'm concerned I just fixed a mfg flaw!

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #17  
just switch your wire from the socket and you be ok i did the same

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #18  
My BX has spade terminals on the socket base and you can just switch them.

If there is a connector in the harness sometimes you can get to the tab that holds the pins in and just trade the wires to change the polarity.

David

Thank you for the last few replies- I thought the sockets were wired backwards from what is normal. There are no spades at the socket and I haven't figured out how to unplug the harness to see if I can reverse it there. If you look at the first picture you can see the connector. Is it worth bothering to try to figure out how to disconnect it to see if I can reverse polarity there or should I just snip the feed wires and swap them there?

/ Replace 1156LL head light with LED #20  
dlabrie,

Which led bulb did you use and where did you source it ?