Replace Worn Boxblade Blade

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #11  
billbill1 said:
Nice job Rob!! I was thinking, as mich work as you get out of Loretta up at 3R, maybe you need to convince her that you can't get TV reception at the new place. That way you can keep her outside working.:D

:eek: Hey, I'll have you know that I only watch TV just before bedtime. But I think I may have to convince Rob that we can't get satellite for the computer :p

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade
john_bud said:
Sounds interesting! How you thinking about doing it? A pair of cylinders to pivot the blade forward or a moving box mount to the 3pt?

jb
Well, I haven't given it much thought, but I'd like to have it so I don't have to get off the tractor to angle the boxblade. It's got to be sturdy if it's permanent, considering what I might run into. It doesn't have to move a lot for my need either. I don't know, maybe some folding linkage like I made for my hydraulic gauge wheels, extended and retracted hydraulically to solid positions for strength. If it's not going to be permanent, but more a set up for that purpose only, I would consider a bolt on or pin on mechanism. But what's the fun in that? I'll think of something.:)

Charlesaf3 said:
intersting as usual!

no impact wrench? They are a godsend. One of those "how did I get along without this?" sort of things
Charles, great idea except at camp my generator can barely run the little compressor I have up there. And it's so crappy, it puts out a whopping 1/2 cu foot per hour or so.:) So it's a lot of elbow grease and a little tenacity that gets me through the day.

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #14  
When I worked construction and it was time for finish work the blade operators would have us trim the cutting edge straight. That is that we would snap a line and torch cut the edge straight. it really is amazing the difference that develops in a 12-16 foot span.

One of the most critical things when flipping the edges is that the back of the edge and the moldboard must be clean. If they are not clean then the edges will come loose--no matter how tight you put them on. So a bit of time was spent with a scraper and an angle grinder to make sure things were clean.

You might want to check in a few hours to make sure things do not loosen up.

Mike

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #15  
great pics on saving the bolts. Its not like you can run 3 miles down the road to a tractor supply store!!! Planning ahead never seems to work out right for me either, I would have picked up 3 different thread sizes/ one bolt too few, or something. Tell Mrs 3rrl she can watch all the tv she wants, we need you to keep being able to post the great pics.:) how close is moving day(s)?

Mike,
I didn't post picks but I cleaned the cutting bladed itself and also where it fit. Those pictures came out blurry, but here they are. The blurry is supposed to show the dirt where the blade fits...sorry.

Pat,
Move in day is not determined yet, but the log home should be done in June!:) We got an "Air Card" for the computers so I will be able to keep posting and stay in touch with all you guys. There are a lot of projects planned once we move up and I'd like to share some of them.

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #17  
Ill take some of the dg :D ruddy mud hole and snow by tomorow for my drive :/ Is there a build thread on frankie... Id love to see some extra pics of that blade.

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #19  
3RRL said:
Charles, great idea except at camp my generator can barely run the little compressor I have up there. And it's so crappy, it puts out a whopping 1/2 cu foot per hour or so.:) So it's a lot of elbow grease and a little tenacity that gets me through the day.

Tsk tsk tsk! (I'll even throw in a Tut! Tut! for good measure.)

I would expect that you would have a hydraulicly driven air compressor, or a belt driven or even a 3pt mounted one on the tractor. There are LOTS of kits and cobbles on the web that off roaders use to get tire air and tool air using old A/C compressors. You should be able to put a factory looking one together and be done by the weekend, eh?

(or not....)

jb

/ Replace Worn Boxblade Blade #20  
3RRL said:
Well, I haven't given it much thought, but I'd like to have it so I don't have to get off the tractor to angle the boxblade. It's got to be sturdy if it's permanent, considering what I might run into. It doesn't have to move a lot for my need either. I don't know, maybe some folding linkage like I made for my hydraulic gauge wheels, extended and retracted hydraulically to solid positions for strength. If it's not going to be permanent, but more a set up for that purpose only, I would consider a bolt on or pin on mechanism. But what's the fun in that? I'll think of something.:)

Rob, I know that it wouldn't be as much fun, but you could buy a rear blade.