Replaced Fuel Tank

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #1  

JD-Beach

Silver Member
Tractor
PT 425
The original plastic fuel tank on my 2006 PT-425 began to leak around the bottom hose fitting. I replaced it with a new aluminum tank purchased from Powertrac. I also replaced the fuel line and fuel filter and added a shut off valve (something that I've wanted to do for years). Not sure if I added these pictures correctly, It's been a long time since I've done this, sorry.

PT Fuel tank 1.jpg
PT Fuel tank 2.jpg

/ Replaced Fuel Tank
I considered converting this to electric as some have done. I concluded that the cost is just to crazy, so I thought I'd stay with gas and go through a few minor fixes.

A few years back I gave this tractor to a business partner because he had a big piece of property and had more use for it. He passed away last year and his wife wanted me to take it back. So I'm back in the Powertrac family. I thought I'd fix it up and perhaps sell it if I don't get much use out of it.

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #3  
That aluminum tank looks great. I'm sure a lot of members are thinking: Wonder what it cost?

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #5  
price ... $482. plus shipping ... a little pricey !
Compared to tanks that I have priced recently, that is not too far off an aluminum tank for other applications.
(welcome back to the PT family!)

I have always thought that your conversion made for an interesting machine.

All the best,

Peter

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #6  
This is really interesting as I've been thinking it would be so much better to have an aluminum tank.

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #7  
Wanting to do this for my PT1460 as my fuel tank is slowly rusting on the inside. To keep it from being a problem, I added another fuel filter prior to the duetz factory fuel filter.
I am not totally happy with my current solution.
Good to have you back!

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #8  
Wanting to do this for my PT1460 as my fuel tank is slowly rusting on the inside. To keep it from being a problem, I added another fuel filter prior to the duetz factory fuel filter.
I am not totally happy with my current solution.
Good to have you back!
Sorry to hear about having rust issues. To me a rusting tank has a lot to do with the diesel quality to begin with, and how the tank is refueled.

I believe @woodlandfarms, and others have had similar issues in the past.

How do you store your fuel? For the most part, I keep mine in metal jerry cans to minimize water absorption from the air.

You could also add a Racor water trapping prefilter on the fuel line. Since the Deutz engines recycle the excess fuel, so over time all of the fuel in the tank gets repeatedly filtered, that would help keep the tank drier. I would also try to keep the tank full, i.e. make sure that you refuel at the end of the day, to minimize air exchange day/night. FWIW: I have used a water block filter and a final two micron filter on diesel dispensers when I believed the purchased fuel might be less than great.

Por 15 worked well for me in the past, but I think that you have to be meticulous about the process, and the timing for it to be successful. For the 1460, I would be more tempted to take the tank to a welder and have them weld up a copy. Mostly though, I think it is about not letting water get into the fuel.

All the best,

Peter

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #9  
Por15 in my rusty tank. Where we live with 50” of rain a year minimum you are always battling rust although it is not related, just condensation.

/ Replaced Fuel Tank #10  
I considered converting this to electric as some have done. I concluded that the cost is just to crazy, so I thought I'd stay with gas and go through a few minor fixes.

A few years back I gave this tractor to a business partner because he had a big piece of property and had more use for it. He passed away last year and his wife wanted me to take it back. So I'm back in the Powertrac family. I thought I'd fix it up and perhaps sell it if I don't get much use out of it.
Welcome back stranger! :ROFLMAO:

You were just mentioned a few days ago regarding the larger wheels and motors.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2016 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan, (A35430)
2016 Chevrolet...
RECEIVE OUR TEXT UPDATES BY SCANNING THE CODE (A35465)
RECEIVE OUR TEXT...
2006 Belshe T10 T/A Tagalong Equipment Trailer (A35915)
2006 Belshe T10...
2005 20ft Ningbo Container, (A35430)
2005 20ft Ningbo...
2014 International TA005 Terra Star Beverage (A35430)
2014 International...
1983 Ford E350 Econoline Van Truck, (A35430)
1983 Ford E350...