Replacement Round Baler Belts

/ Replacement Round Baler Belts #1  

Jerry/MT

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500
I will be doing some work on our New Holland 688 round baler over the winter. Two of the belts look pretty worn on the edges and I am considering replacing them. I want to use the riveted splices rather than the clipper style.

Does anybody have any information on baler belt quality? I figure there are probably only 3-4 manufacturers of baler belts and from what I've seen so far, the difference appears to be in the number of plies and the splices. Obviously there is a difference the rubber formulations but that is not generally discussed in technical detail in the sellers information.

Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Replacement Round Baler Belts #2  
I’m very little help, but I believe some balers require that all of the splices be the same type. Before installing new belts with rivets, make sure it’s not going to cause you issues. Just a thought.

/ Replacement Round Baler Belts #3  
Can't tell you if all splices need to be the same. For my Vermeer it doesn't matter. I needed to replace several belts and the new ones use the alligator style. They're similar to the clipper but instead of clips they're thicker and use a thicker splice wire (not sure what it's called) but looks more like wire rope covered in plastic. The only problem I've encountered with this type of splice is it uses what looks like a washer that's crimped on the end which didn't hold but I found that if I use a single strand of wire rope inbetween the center splice that it holds great. I got my belts from a manufacture here in Texas (McGregor area) but can't remember they're name at this time. They have different aggressiveness belts. Very good quality. One other thing is that if a couple are worn there is a very good chance that the rest are stretched and it might be a good idea to replace all at the same time.

/ Replacement Round Baler Belts #4  
Only baler iv seen that can change from staples to rivets is certain Rebel 5410s. Not saying its not possible in other balers but I would doubt it for most