Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
All, I currently have a 18' trailer (16' flat & 2' dovetail) that has a 7K GVW (2x 3,500k axles).

I need a higher weight capacity trailer at least 10k with 5,200 LB or higher axles and a longer trailer.

The attached pictures is my current trailer and the typical load of my tractor and flail mower.

I'm trying to decide on the length I need. I think 22' (20' flat & 2' dovetail) is about right to allow for positioning to balance the load and maybe carry a second implement.

However, if I switched to a gooseneck would a 20' trailer be long enough as the loader bucket could set on top of the gooseneck hitch? I found a 20' gooseneck (18' flat & 2' dovetail) for sale somewhat local to me.

I understand the benefits of gooseneck vs bumper pull trailers.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.jpeg
    IMG_2691.jpeg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2689.jpeg
    IMG_2689.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
   / Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #2  
All, I currently have a 18' trailer (16' flat & 2' dovetail) that has a 7K GVW (2x 3,500k axles).

I need a higher weight capacity trailer at least 10k with 5,200 LB or higher axles and a longer trailer.

The attached pictures is my current trailer and the typical load of my tractor and flail mower.

I'm trying to decide on the length I need. I think 22' (20' flat & 2' dovetail) is about right to allow for positioning to balance the load and maybe carry a second implement.

However, if I switched to a gooseneck would a 20' trailer be long enough as the loader bucket could set on top of the gooseneck hitch? I found a 20' gooseneck (18' flat & 2' dovetail) for sale somewhat local to me.

I understand the benefits of gooseneck vs bumper pull trailers.
So states are higher insurance on the truck with goose neck capability as the truck plate rating jumps upwards. Our Ram 2500 had a goose neck. We changed up to ball hitch and a trailer with the axles in the middle vs. rearward. This took so much load off of the trucks suspension. Our HaulMark trailer is a 20ft with 14,000 capacity 2x axles.

Oh, one bad thing we noticed for the short time having the goose neck was, the truck axle would sink into soil and we got stuck twice.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #3  
I wouldn't buy another trailer that is to small. Keep looking for a 22 or even better, a 24 ft.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #4  
I wouldn't buy another trailer that is to small. Keep looking for a 22 or even better, a 24 ft.
We went with 20Ft as the tags and such were going to be to expensive on the road for our use. Some states require an upgrade to your license too.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #5  
I upgraded from a 20' 7K tilt bed to a 22' 14K tilt bed trailer 9 years ago. I went with a PJ model TF (full tilt). Its listed as a 22' but actual deck length incl. tail is 23'9". Gives me plenty of room to adjust a load. Mainly use for hauling vehicles, implements, and tractors. I like that the axles are farther back than most tilt beds. Check out their trailers.

Attachments

• PJ dimensions.jpg
    PJ dimensions.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 108
  • PJ2.JPG
    PJ2.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN1537 (Large).JPG
    DSCN1537 (Large).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
   / Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing
I upgraded from a 20' 7K tilt bed to a 22' 14K tilt bed trailer 9 years ago. I went with a PJ model TF (full tilt). Its listed as a 22' but actual deck length incl. tail is 23'9". Gives me plenty of room to adjust a load. Mainly use for hauling vehicles, implements, and tractors. I like that the axles are farther back than most tilt beds. Check out their trailers.
I really like your trailer, just not sure on the $$,$$$.

The other thing is with my Ram 2500 I only have 2820lbs to cover tongue weight.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #7  
Yes, the tilt beds do add a premium to the cost. But, I don't have to lift or raise heavy ramps anymore. My back appreciates that.

The extra length lets me adjust the load for more or less tongue weight. Its not usually a problem as the rear of my 2500 barely drops an inch or two with loaded trailer. I assume your Ram has rear coils instead of leafs. You may be better off with a 10-12K

14K is the max trailer for my truck and its all I need.

Prices have sure gone up since I bought mine. I also had a 14K dump trailer which after 9 years I sold it for more than I paid for it new. I could do the same for my PJ but have no plans to sell right now.

Just checked a few places online and a new PJ like mine is selling for over 10k. Probably out of your price range.

Last edited:
   / Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #8  
I would definitely go gooseneck, and most likely more than 5,200-lb. axles, just in case.

Unlike a bumper pull, you can get away with a lower tongue weight and still not have sway.
But you probably already knew that.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #9  
I would definitely go gooseneck, and most likely more than 5,200-lb. axles, just in case.

Unlike a bumper pull, you can get away with a lower tongue weight and still not have sway.
But you probably already knew that.
You can also put the loader bucket on the GN neck so a shorter trailer may be possible. I have a GN with a deck on the neck to store equipment. You just have to be careful how heavy of a GN trailer you end up with.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing
Yes, the tilt beds do add a premium to the cost. But, I don't have to lift or raise heavy ramps anymore. My back appreciates that.

The extra length lets me adjust the load for more or less tongue weight. Its not usually a problem as the rear of my 2500 barely drops an inch or two with loaded trailer. I assume your Ram has rear coils instead of leafs. You may be better off with a 10-12K

14K is the max trailer for my truck and its all I need.

Prices have sure gone up since I bought mine. I also had a 14K dump trailer which after 9 years I sold it for more than I paid for it new. I could do the same for my PJ but have no plans to sell right now.

Just checked a few places online and a new PJ like mine is selling for over 10k. Probably out of your price range.
My truck is rated to pull a 16,620 lbs, but I’d be over my payload likely with a trailer that heavy.