Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #21  
Dealers seem to like to fill their lots with 10 times the amount of 2500’s as 3500’s.
Probably due to the fact that 3500’s are into CDL territory now.
In my case, I'm perfectly legal with the 14,000 lb. GVWR, and my longish (32') flatbed trailer is rated at 25K. Yep, 39K CGVWR and just fine on a regular license.

Now, had I still been in CA that would've been an entirely different story. Have snuck in there twice and got away with it (flatbed alone means stopping at the scales, which I didn't) but not pushing my luck again.

With this load I was maxed out, and probably then some, but never had to enter CA.
DSCN3360.JPG

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #22  
A Ram 2500 is basically identical to a 3500, except for the rear suspension and the mandated 10K max GVWR, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.

There are always air springs in case the rear sag is a problem.
I had a spring shop add an extra leaf to the rear springs on my Dodge 2500. The cost was reasonable.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #23  
A Ram 2500 is basically identical to a 3500, except for the rear suspension and the mandated 10K max GVWR,

It is only mandated if the manufacturer rates the 2500 as a class 2. Ford and GM are now over the 10k if you want, on the 250/2500.

So far, Ram 2500 max gvw is 10k and why I have a 2500. I agree with your air bag comment, It will do anything a 3500 SRW will do.

1210211509.jpg

Last edited:
   / Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #24  
I completely agree. I don't really understand 2500s.

Then again, I understand 1500s much less, unless all you want is a car with a bed in the back.
And I've learned to really dislike bumper pull trailers.

Yes, I'm opinionated, but it's almost all based on experience.

My "new" flatbed is rated for 7000 lbs by the manufacturer - would you call this a bumper pull setup (It's connected to the Superhitch, not the bumper)?

IMG_6381.JPG IMG_4548.JPG IMG_6321.JPG

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #25  
My "new" flatbed is rated for 7000 lbs by the manufacturer - would you call this a bumper pull setup (It's connected to the Superhitch, not the bumper)?
That means it has 3,500-lb. axles, which I learned to stay away from...the hard way.

For not much more you can get the larger spindles,bearings, and brakes of 5,200-lb. axles.
And don't forget that you can mix and match, using the beefier axles with 3,500-lb. springs.

And while on the subject of suspension, I might be able alienate a few more people by pointing out that I really dislike torsion axles, for several reasons. Basic leaf springs have many advantages, I think, and air suspension is great on trailers (too).

Anyway, the trailer doesn't know if it's hooked to a ball on a ballmount in a receiver, or a trailer ball attached to a bumper. It's still usually referred to as a bumper pull.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing
Also, unless I run into a really great deal I am likely looking at used trailers.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #27  
Also, unless I run into a really great deal I am likely looking at used trailers.
To a large extent you'd have to check for the same things either way. Crappy electrical connections, that the bearings are lubed, and the brakes adjusted correctly.

What scares me about used trailers is how most people treat them. I'd be prepared to buy new tires, fix some electrical, maybe change suspension bushing, and quite possibly weld up some cracks.

And quality brands seem to hold their value quite well, so the price difference may not be that large. Yes, there are good deals out there, but don't be afraid to spend time to find them, and then drive a few hundred miles.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #28  
It is only mandated if the manufacturer rates the 2500 as a class 2. Ford and GM are now over the 10k if you want, on the 250/2500.

So far, Ram 2500 max gvw is 10k and why I have a 2500. I agree with your air bag comment, It will do anything a 3500 SRW will do.

View attachment 821904
What bags did you get? I'm thinking about a set for my 2014.

/ Replacement Trailer Type & Sizing #30  
That means it has 3,500-lb. axles, which I learned to stay away from...the hard way.

For not much more you can get the larger spindles,bearings, and brakes of 5,200-lb. axles.
And don't forget that you can mix and match, using the beefier axles with 3,500-lb. springs.

And while on the subject of suspension, I might be able alienate a few more people by pointing out that I really dislike torsion axles, for several reasons. Basic leaf springs have many advantages, I think, and air suspension is great on trailers (too).

Anyway, the trailer doesn't know if it's hooked to a ball on a ballmount in a receiver, or a trailer ball attached to a bumper. It's still usually referred to as a bumper pull.

Sure I agree bigger the better, but this 7000 lbs will be fine for what I need to haul and the price was right.
I am not planning to haul my bulldozer with it, if needed there are rentals or heavier haulers for hire nearby.