Replacing Cutting Edge

/ Replacing Cutting Edge #1  

kcender

Platinum Member
Tractor
GR2120 B2650 Cab
I am going to be replacing the weld on cutting edge for the bucket of my LA 724 loader.I have never replaced a cutting edge before and was looking for a few do's and dont's from those that have done this before.I am a welder by trade and know how to weld.I will use zip cuts to remove the old cutting edge as I do not want the heat from the torch to distort the bucket.It will be a bit more work but that is all right.I will be using 045 flux core to weld the edge on.My plan is to use backstepping with staggered starts and weld on both sides intermittantly.I am wondering if a strongback is necessary,I could use the old cutting edge for this if necessary.I am thinking of welding about four inches at a time to keep the heat affected zone small.Any advice from those that have done this would be appreciated,thanks.

/ Replacing Cutting Edge #2  
I think the last cutting edge I replaced was on a 966 or 988, and I used the method you described. But those are huge buckets! I take it as your project is for a small FEL? If I was really worried about warpage, what do you think of standing the bucket up vertically and using Mig down hill, but still back stepping?

/ Replacing Cutting Edge #3  
I will be using 045 flux core to weld the edge on.My plan is to
use backstepping with staggered starts and weld on both sides intermittantly.I am wondering
if a strongback is necessary.

I have done one, but I also cut out the whole bottom of the carcass. That's much easier than
trying to straighten it.

I found some 1/2" x 6" beveled cutting edge at a steel seller, and it was 1/3-1/4 of what
2 tractor dealers wanted.

Anyway, I used a plasma cutter for surgery, and was not concerned about heat warpage.
If you use O2-Acet, then you will get more heat.

When welding on the new edge, I stitch-welded about 1" at a time, 6" apart. I used
1/8" 7018 rod at about 130A DC with a Miller Thunderbolt buzz-box. Very happy with
result. I have no idea how well flux-core MIG will work. No strongback used here.

I eventually put a continuous weld on both sides. I am not a weldor by trade, but I have
learned a bunch from experience about heat distortion in the past 15-20y.

Attachments

• JD955_FEL_bkt.jpg
    JD955_FEL_bkt.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 708
   / Replacing Cutting Edge #4  
If you use your bucket alot, I would get a bolt on cutting edge, with the double bevel, it will last twice as long, and helps stiffen up the bucket. All you need is plow bolts and a sharp drill bit. When edge wears down, just unbolt it and flip it over.:thumbsup:

/ Replacing Cutting Edge #5  
If you use your bucket alot, I would get a bolt on cutting edge, with the double bevel, it will last twice as long, and helps stiffen up the bucket. All you need is plow bolts and a sharp drill bit. When edge wears down, just unbolt it and flip it over.:thumbsup:

MY 724 was factory drilled and the first thing to go on it was a double edge!!! I should never wear out the original.

5-12-07 010.jpg

/ Replacing Cutting Edge #6  
I've replaced a fair amount of cutting edges on loader buckets. first thing I do is weld a couple of braces from the top edge of the bucket to just behind where you're going to cut it, that'll stop a lot of warping. Wait 'till it cools before removing them.
I've never had to backstep but the ones I've welded up have been 1 1/2" thick and I alternate from top to bottom of the joint, backstepping won't hurt a bit...Mike