replanting field for Timothy Hay

/ replanting field for Timothy Hay #11  
Timothy will likely do better if its wet and poorly drained, a little clover seed mixed in will help supply extra nitrogen. I used round up, then disked and then broadcast seeded timothy/clover in my field in October a few years ago and was cutting hay off of it in May.

As Robert in NY said, alfalfa likes well drained soil and does not like saturated soil such as in moist bottoms.

/ replanting field for Timothy Hay #12  
I'm new to the forums and just found this thread. I don't know if this fits here but, I just purchased 100 +/- acres and most of it being in pasture. The fella I bought it from had been cutting hay off of it for cows for the past several years. This grass is mostly fescue, and I'm looking to get a better quality hay for my horses. I have looked at a pasture seed mix, basically to get a overall quality hay, but don't want to just till it up to bare ground. Any recommendations? By the way I have very limited knowledge in hay and I was wondering about the stages of maturity in a pasture mix and how one would get the most out of the grasses given the different stages of maturity, the pasture mix is a combination of alfalfa, clover, timothy, orchardgrass, and fescue. I have been impressed by the knowledge on this site and await a reply,
Thanks.

/ replanting field for Timothy Hay #14  
WTF,
Put the kid on the 3 pt. Less chance of going under the wheels when fall off, less chance of burns from the exhaust, and if the tractor is new do you really want to scratch up the hood that way? Plus the seed could mess up and get stuck on the cab and start to grow when it rains and then REALLY have a green tractor!!

I love this thread have the same issues.

/ replanting field for Timothy Hay #15  
Your idea about Timothy would work well in your area I think. Youre far enough N so stand longevity wouldnt be the issue it is farther S. Also its a very well known and accepted horse feed. However, if it were me, Id use a different legume. Alfalfa requires close management + its autotoxic. I think clover would be much easier and perhaps a better bang for the $.

This fall Im going to replant my fields by first burning them down w/ 'roundup' + a pre-emergent. Orchard grass will then be drilled into the dead sod . I can rent the NT drill at my coop. You might check w/ your coop to see what they might have available.

For sure Id do a soil test prior to replanting as was suggested earlier. Talking to your county agent is also good advice.