Restarting My '70 Nova Project

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project
Some progress is being made. Painter called and asked me to come in and look at a color sample spray-out to make sure it was the color I wanted. Went in and took a look, and it looks just as I thought Cortez Silver would. He has the underside painted and is going to get the interior painted in the next couple of days, then he'll start getting the exterior and other parts painted.

IMG_20230102_125307221.jpg

Paint shop called this morning and asked if I could come in a take a look at the body, as they had the Cortez Silver on it, and wanted to make sure that's the color I wanted. Went in and I think it looks great. Great color and great body work.
He's going to get the door, fenders, hood and trunk lid painted later this week, he hopes. Hard to believe after 8 years it has paint on it. This is the original color according to the cowl tag, although it was maroon when I bought it, and there was a blue paint job under that, so this is the third color for this Nova.

IMG_20230123_110112336 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20230123_110125248 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20230123_110153782 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20230123_111032692 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
   / Restarting My '70 Nova Project #253  
Looking good, all you need is a couple of Boss Mustangs or Mach 1's sitting next to it.(y)

Looking good, all you need is a couple of Boss Mustangs or Mach 1's sitting next to it.(y)
Was never much of a Mustang fan, they sat too low for me. Felt like I was riding in a go-kart.
I'd really prefer a '70 Chevelle LS6 (454/450HP).

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #255  
To each his own, personally go karts are a little slow for me. Keep up the good work and enjoy a piece of good ole American Muscle.

Well, tomorrow I go in for back surgery, so the reassembly will be on hold for a while, probably a couple of months.
When I first talked to the painter, I told him I was having the surgery about this time in January, and that if possible, could he have it done before then. He didn't think that would be a problem, but of course no plan goes according to schedule. So, since it still isn't finished up, I have a couple of friends that are going use my pickup to pick the loose parts, hood, trunk lid and fenders, and bring them to my shop for me. The same towing company that took the body to the shop will bring it back, so things are pretty well taken care of, I hope.
I'm having a fusion done, L3, L4 and L5, and hopefully that will end the really intense pain I get at times in my lower back and legs. The surgeon said I may even get the feeling back in my feet over time. That would be great too.
I'll keep up on any progress I make when I'm able to work on it. I have a few things that I may order or make plans to do during the reassembly. I'm still mulling over a Dakota Digital instrument cluster, but $1500 is a little tough to swallow, so I may stick with the stock cluster.
Another thing I am considering is a different set of rear disc brakes that have the shoe type parking brakes, like the Wilwood Rear Brake Kit – Part No: 140-11398-R.
Wilwood Disc Brakes
The ones I have now have the little actuator arm on the caliper, and with the staggered shocks on the rear, connecting the right side (I think) you have to run the E-brake cable around the back of the diff to connect it to the caliper.
So, still some issues to resolve by the time I can get back to putting it all together.

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #257  
Hope all goes well for you and I know you will be looking forward to getting back on the Nova. Best of luck to you. 🙏

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #259  
Interesting side note on Nova's. They tried to sell them in Mexico, but it didn't do well. In Spanish, "Nova" means "Not going". You would think they would have checked that before marketing the car.
Yeah, I recall that Plymouth Matador had a similar issue. 😅

Spanish, from matar "to kill"

/ Restarting My '70 Nova Project #260  
Thanks for the updates, the restore seems to be going along well.
Good luck with your surgery.