Rear Finish Mower Rhino FM72A (72") finishing mower.

/ Rhino FM72A (72") finishing mower.
Thanks for all the input guy's. Perhaps a machine shop is the way to go on the shaft. The sad thing is, I got this mower used along with a little 1200 series Ford tractor when we bought this property 8 years ago. It's always had a roar although I've always greased it before each use, or every 6-8 hours. Not having a new one to compare it to, I thought it was the normal sound of the drive line. The Bush Hog brand mower I'm using now seems to have the same noise. My J-Bar brush cutter has nearly the same drive line noise and has since I bought it new. So, not having anything to compare it to I thought it was normal.
There is a machine shop close to me that I have used in the past. Maybe he can cut the shaft down and weld a sleeve onto it then machine it it back to size. I'll have to go see him next week.
Thanks again,
Roger

/ Rhino FM72A (72") finishing mower. #12  
Hopefully you can get it fixed up. I dont fault anyone for not hearing something on this type of machine which is so noisy in the first place. I have a mower deck with a bad bearing and the noise it makes is basically ‘a louder version of normal’ and the only reason i thought to investogate it was because the volume was enough to bother me a little, but it didnt really sound different, just loud. And this is coming from an ASE Master Tech. Just like how i cant stand my dad’s EQ settings and my wife says im colorblind, we all have ‘dips’ in our sensitivity to certain ranges of light/sound/color etc.

Post back with the result, whatever it is!

/ Rhino FM72A (72") finishing mower. #13  
Have you checked the other finishing mower companies to see if they have the same size housing??? Or maybe
the zero turn mowers???

willy

Hopefully you can get it fixed up. I dont fault anyone for not hearing something on this type of machine which is so noisy in the first place. I have a mower deck with a bad bearing and the noise it makes is basically ‘a louder version of normal’ and the only reason i thought to investogate it was because the volume was enough to bother me a little, but it didnt really sound different, just loud. And this is coming from an ASE Master Tech. Just like how i cant stand my dad’s EQ settings and my wife says im colorblind, we all have ‘dips’ in our sensitivity to certain ranges of light/sound/color etc.

Post back with the result, whatever it is!
Me too. I'm going to get a set of bearings and hopefully match up the seals today. I'm going to call my machinist contact and see if he'll take a look at it and see if he can indeed repair it. As far as different sensitivities go, I totally agree and being in my 70's and having tinnitus doesn't help at all. I'll definitely post pictures of the outcome if he can fix it.
Thanks again,
Roger

Have you checked the other finishing mower companies to see if they have the same size housing??? Or maybe
the zero turn mowers???

willy
Yes I have looked at other manufactures but not having the dimensions of their spindle assemblies, it's pretty much impossible to tell if theirs are even close. If I had the dimensions I could probably find some close enough to make them work.
Thanks for the question though.
Roger