Right out of the oven

/ Right out of the oven #11  
Nice looking bread. I built an Alan Scott style barrel vault oven about 10 years ago and have baked hundreds of sourdough loaves in it over the years. Nothing like it.

Just realized that my starter is celebrating its 10th birthday this month.

/ Right out of the oven
Nice looking bread. I built an Alan Scott style barrel vault oven about 10 years ago and have baked hundreds of sourdough loaves in it over the years. Nothing like it.

Just realized that my starter is celebrating its 10th birthday this month.

Ah, you're well above my level.

/ Right out of the oven #13  
A clerk in my wife’s office makes artisan bread. He sells it for $10.00 a loaf. It’s amazing.

/ Right out of the oven #14  
Ah, you're well above my level.

Lol, your 40 years of experience puts me to shame sir. I would love to bake a few loaves with you so I could learn something.

/ Right out of the oven #15  
Just after the pandemic started I couldn't get my favorite bread at the local store plus they ran out of flour and yeast. I had some flour left over from previous baking and some old yeast (that turned out to be dead). So I started making bread too and then sourdough, then rye and now sourdough rye with sunflower seeds. I'm getting much better at dough handling and reading the dough. Really love the taste of the different breads. I don't use any fat, oil or sugar in my breads either and find them very tasteful. My wife likes the sourdough better than the store bought stuff and I haven't had any of the loaves go hard or loose their tenderness before they are gone. I think that it the reason some recipes call for fat or oil; to prolong the shelf life.

I now have 2 sourdough starters going; a white one that is 9 months old and a rye one that is only 3 weeks old and already smells and tastes great.

/ Right out of the oven #16  
Just after the pandemic started I couldn't get my favorite bread at the local store plus they ran out of flour and yeast. I had some flour left over from previous baking and some old yeast (that turned out to be dead). So I started making bread too and then sourdough, then rye and now sourdough rye with sunflower seeds. I'm getting much better at dough handling and reading the dough. Really love the taste of the different breads. I don't use any fat, oil or sugar in my breads either and find them very tasteful. My wife likes the sourdough better than the store bought stuff and I haven't had any of the loaves go hard or loose their tenderness before they are gone. I think that it the reason some recipes call for fat or oil; to prolong the shelf life.

I now have 2 sourdough starters going; a white one that is 9 months old and a rye one that is only 3 weeks old and already smells and tastes great.

I'll occasionally put some evaporated milk into a bread recipe if I want a more tender crumb. I also like making regular yeasted breads for rolls or hamburger buns. Those "Brioche" types of breads need eggs, sugar, butter and milk to make them good.

/ Right out of the oven #17  
I'll occasionally put some evaporated milk into a bread recipe if I want a more tender crumb. I also like making regular yeasted breads for rolls or hamburger buns. Those "Brioche" types of breads need eggs, sugar, butter and milk to make them good.

Thanks for the input. I'm a total newbie at this but find it rewarding and I love the way the house smells when the bread is baking. So far I've only made some simple bread recipes and have not yet made any buns or rolls. I may give some buttermilk biscuits a try next though.

/ Right out of the oven #18  
Thanks for the input. I'm a total newbie at this but find it rewarding and I love the way the house smells when the bread is baking. So far I've only made some simple bread recipes and have not yet made any buns or rolls. I may give some buttermilk biscuits a try next though.

Check out a website called "The Fresh Loaf". A lot of good info and recipes there.

/ Right out of the oven #20  
No secrets here. I've been making bread for more than 40 years, and have tried many different methods and recipes. Several years ago I started learning about what some call "artisan" bread, and I found a book that explained the method in great detail in an easy to understand way. I'd suggest reading it and following the instructions to the letter:

Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza [A Cookbook]: Forkish, Ken: 978167742739: Books - Amazon.ca

This book is currently being sold on E-Bay for $9.49 USD, with free shipping.
Maybe iffy, because seller has zero feedback to date, but PayPal will protect against any schenanigans, and $9.49 is not all that much anyway.
I just bought one!
E-Bay listing # 224283216960.

UPDATE!
That deal did seem too good to be true, and it was!
E-Bay just de-listed that seller.
I kinda knowed it.
There ain't no free lunch, and there ain't no cheap bread book deal on E-Bay either!

Last edited: