Right to repair laws coming?

/ Right to repair laws coming? #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
https://www.agriculture.com/news/machinery/*****-backs-right-to-repair-from-tractors-to-tech

Please use your best efforts to keep political debate out of this topic and keep your comments related to the right to repair issue and what this would mean for tractor companies and tractor owners.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #2  
We need to get well passed the notion of renting or leasing parts of equipment that you bought. In my view, all manuals; owners, parts and service should be included with a purchase. Software access should also be included at no cost even if you have to buy a tool/scanner. Many buyers don't live close enough to a servicing dealer to be fully dependent on them.

If you do something with the manual or scanner that screws something up, well, then you have to pay, just like if you break any other part.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #3  
https://www.agriculture.com/news/machinery/*****-backs-right-to-repair-from-tractors-to-tech

Please use your best efforts to keep political debate out of this topic and keep your comments related to the right to repair issue and what this would mean for tractor companies and tractor owners.
Your posting of "***** backs 'right to repair', from tractors to tech", actually will incentify "political debate".

/ Right to repair laws coming? #4  
Your posting of "***** backs 'right to repair', from tractors to tech", actually will incentify "political debate".
It's just a left over from the original post. I'm sure Muhammad missed it when edited the thread.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #5  
Ticks me off that JD is pushing this sort of nonsense on it's customers. I hope politicians of both sides jump on the band wagon to stop this sort of non competitive behavior. As bad as this is for tractors, it is worse for marine engines.

JD has a good percentage of the marine engine market. However, they will not supply spare ECMs to boat owners for some reason. These boats are traveling oceans and remote places and if the ECM dies, the engine is toast. This could cause the loss of the boat and the death of the crew. JD refuses to sell spares ECMs which is unreal.

Later,
Dan

/ Right to repair laws coming? #6  
Ticks me off that JD is pushing this sort of nonsense on it's customers. I hope politicians of both sides jump on the band wagon to stop this sort of non competitive behavior. As bad as this is for tractors, it is worse for marine engines.

JD has a good percentage of the marine engine market. However, they will not supply spare ECMs to boat owners for some reason. These boats are traveling oceans and remote places and if the ECM dies, the engine is toast. This could cause the loss of the boat and the death of the crew. JD refuses to sell spares ECMs which is unreal.

Later,
Dan
I would expect that to depress the resale value of JD powered yachts.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #7  
That's good....I just replaced a seal on my Yanmar 186D.....sure glad I wasn't arrested!

/ Right to repair laws coming? #8  
Also very important to the auto repair and parts supply industry. As BEV’s become more prevalent these new companies could have a lock on the wear items.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #9  
Try crossing the country in a TESLA. If something goes wrong your average garage can’t touch it. I have friends with towing services and they are afraid to touch them.

/ Right to repair laws coming? #10  
I was staying in a motel about 20 years ago when a woman checked in driving a brand new BMW convertible. She was traveling from New Brusnwick to Quebec and had trashed a tire... she was stranded for several days while waiting for a replacement tire. If I spend 60K (in 2004) for a car I wouldn't own it long when that happened.