Right to Repair.

/ Right to Repair. #11  
Auto makers have been doing this for years, proprietary software that only certain repair centers can access.

/ Right to Repair. #12  
Tried getting a cheap auto key made at HD for a late model car recently ?

/ Right to Repair. #13  
I got a key cut when my GMC 08 was new at the dealer. Cut key wasn't a bad price. They offered to program it for maybe fifty bucks more. Said no thanks. Not sure I could do it, but reading the manual, it took about a minute or two in their parking lot. I thought that a little rude of them not to suggest I could do it.

/ Right to Repair. #14  
   / Right to Repair. #15  
Scan tools and software are usually readily available for cars. I don't know about tractor diagnostics.

/ Right to Repair. #16  
Good friend of mine owns a local tire /auto repair shop. He was certainly effected by the auto mfrs first to keep repair codes secret and the other games they played to try and force consumers into dealership garages for repairs.
That said, we have a MB Sprinter and a Porsche SUV... he tells us to go to the dealer for all maintenance...oil etc as it's more grief for him to get parts than it's worth. .. wife's Porsche SUV was just in the dealer last week. ...has 37k miles on it now and on it's 3rd set or tires... they changed the oil and gave us a "too do" list ..Front breaks, 1600.00, change break fluid 480.00, transmission service 895.00....

/ Right to Repair. #17  
I wonder what the $890 transmission service involves ?
Probably checking the fluid level, replacing a $30.00 filter, and topping up.

/ Right to Repair. #18  
How many people actually change their own oil? And how many would actually be unable to do it if they really wanted? I think the people that are damanding such change are in the distinct minority.

"How many people actually change their own oil?"

I would be willing to bet that close to 90% of those here on TBN do (in their tractors at least).

/ Right to Repair. #19  
Good friend of mine owns a local tire /auto repair shop. He was certainly effected by the auto mfrs first to keep repair codes secret and the other games they played to try and force consumers into dealership garages for repairs.
That said, we have a MB Sprinter and a Porsche SUV... he tells us to go to the dealer for all maintenance...oil etc as it's more grief for him to get parts than it's worth. .. wife's Porsche SUV was just in the dealer last week. ...has 37k miles on it now and on it's 3rd set or tires... they changed the oil and gave us a "too do" list ..Front breaks, 1600.00, change break fluid 480.00, transmission service 895.00....

I posted this elsewhere here on TBN just a day or two ago:

2014 Mercedes E350 spark plug change quote from Sarasota MB dealer.
6 plugs plus labor = $1034.89.
I am not kidding!

6 plugs from FCP Euro = $52.40 shipped + $7.48 for dielectric grease (Amazon).
U-Tube +3 hours of my labor...the MB plug replacement is different than most.

Gee....I feel so fortunate:
My transmission service quote was only $572.03 as compared to your $895.00

Obviously, the Sarasota MB dealer will not ever see my MB again, nor will any other MB dealer.

/ Right to Repair. #20  
At least it's not an F150 where they have to remove the cab. Can you imangine the cost?