Right to Repair.

/ Right to Repair. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
Right to Repair is an issue for everyone. Whether its a computer or a tractor hydraulic controller. Rossman and Ifixit are leading the charge. This is something everyone in the DIY world should look at. Its just sort of starting, the push back is small now. But one should be able to fix something, and people need to know what they actually own when they buy something. To me, you own it if you bought it. Some Companies have slowly and quietly taken this away. I was offered a job once to repair some controller boards, to some very expensive heavy equipment, the money was out of sight to do it, but then I looked at the legal field and i could be sued just attempting to swap out a bad Cap: Cause I'm not an authorized repair center. You can look at this one way or the other, but you should look at it.

/ Right to Repair. #2  
Right to Repair is an issue for everyone. Whether its a computer or a tractor hydraulic controller. Rossman and Ifixit are leading the charge. This is something everyone in the DIY world should look at. Its just sort of starting, the push back is small now. But one should be able to fix something, and people need to know what they actually own when they buy something. To me, you own it if you bought it. Some Companies have slowly and quietly taken this away. I was offered a job once to repair some controller boards, to some very expensive heavy equipment, the money was out of sight to do it, but then I looked at the legal field and i could be sued just attempting to swap out a bad Cap: Cause I'm not an authorized repair center. You can look at this one way or the other, but you should look at it.

Sometimes what one buys is a right to posses and a license to use...be it software or proprietary hardware of any kind...

Anymore it's all about the fine print in end user agreements, terms of service statements and privacy policies...all of which have to be agreed upon even if only by acceptance...

/ Right to Repair. #3  
I'm always on my soapbox about this, but you know what? It's a lost cause because too few people care or have what it takes to fix stuff anyway, even if it was possible. And they like to buy NEW, and better yet if it's not their fault, they have to buy NEW.

When a company tells me that they don't support something they sold a few short years ago and imply I should buy a new one. I say, I guess in that case I won't be buying anything from you again, and pretty much hang up.

/ Right to Repair. #5  
Have to agree.
As far as I am concerned, fixing a busted circuit board or hydraulic gizmo is just maintenance, same as changing the oil or fitting new spark plugs.
I think push back is definitely coming, and is going to become a very major future issue.
The real problem is not the manufacturers, but the greedy lawyers and the entire totally corrupt litigation system.

/ Right to Repair. #6  
How many people actually change their own oil? And how many would actually be unable to do it if they really wanted? I think the people that are damanding such change are in the distinct minority.

/ Right to Repair. #7  
How many people actually change their own oil? And how many would actually be unable to do it if they really wanted? I think the people that are damanding such change are in the distinct minority.

I can but don't, it's not really a savings doing it yourself like it used to be. I haven't priced it out recently though. It's not worth the hassle. Repairs are quite another thing though, and you can almost always save by doing repairs yourself. You can look so much stuff up online and youtube these days too, so if you have a little bit of aptitude and don't fear messing it up, then I say go for it.

I agree though, we don't repair most things anymore we replace. Hiring a repair person is often more expensive than just replacing an item. The people willing to even attempt their own repairs are very much in the minority.

/ Right to Repair. #8  
As I recall from the last time this topic was posted a few weeks back, it isn't about access to the information or tools or ability to do the work. It's about the mandate to have a factory tech reset a code somewhere (for a fee of course) to restore the unit to service even after the user has replaced the part.

And it isn't about having any tech or mechanic do the work, certified or not. It's about requiring that a factory/dealer tech do it.

/ Right to Repair. #9  
And depending what it is, if it's made over seas, you can't even get parts if you wanted to. Maybe that production run is done and gone forever. When you buy stuff direct from China, you realize how incredibly cheap it is. Then, there is no facility in place to procure and sell replacement parts. You can't get a spare part for something you bought at TSC or Home Depot. Bust a globe on a light and your SOL. It's easier just to refund your money and they throw it out.

I don't even do my own truck repairs or oil change. Repairs are all just too specialized. Even trying to put on a serpentine belt is more than I care to do.

/ Right to Repair. #10  
And it isn't about having any tech or mechanic do the work, certified or not. It's about requiring that a factory/dealer tech do it.

Can't say that I have experienced this ever. Not saying it doesn't happen but you'd have to be specific.