Right to Repair.

/ Right to Repair. #21  
Reminds me of the dealer quote of $500 to replace the $12 HST fan on my BX. They make so it is a four hour (at$125/hr) job of disassembly and reassembly to just accesses it to spend 5 minutes replacing the fan.

My local mechanic figured out how to do it in 45 minutes at $75.00/hr, I bought the fan and gave him a copy a TBN post on hows to do it.

That is why we do our own mechanic work.

Ron

/ Right to Repair. #22  
I asked the dealer to change the plugs on my CTS-V while I was having an end of warranty check done. Got billed $416.00 and only five of the old plugs returned that I had requested as they only had a few miles on them. That will be the last time the dealer sees it unless I'm unable to repair it myself. When that happens it will be sold and I will restore something for my daily driver.

/ Right to Repair. #23  
I wonder what the $890 transmission service involves ?
Probably checking the fluid level, replacing a $30.00 filter, and topping up.

They top off the blinker fluid and rotate the air in thi tires as well ...as a courtesy

/ Right to Repair. #24  
It frosts my fushnairs the way vehicles are engineered nowaday so you can't even do the most simplest of tasks. The first time I ever changed a headlight, it was 3 Phillips screws, remove the trim ring, and swap the sealed beam. A few weeks back I looked at a video of how to replace the bulb on my 2015 Ram, and it's just ridiculous.

/ Right to Repair. #25  
How many people actually change their own oil?
"
Always have and will unitil I can't physically do it. It is a bit cheaper but the main reason is twofold, (1) I get a chance to look around under my truck and check for busted crap and (2) I don't have some 300lb gorilla put the filter on which would require a 2' cheater bar to remove and I do not trust stealers.....ahhh dealers I mean.
At work we recently had some tandem trucks delivered which were supposedly 'PDI'd" by the dealer (I use that term sparingly) while getting under the truck to do something, lo and behold one of the brakes was still caged where they do it for piggyback transport. The wheels were covered in rear end oil where they had pulled the axles and not even wiped down, Looking at the MVI sticker they placed it over 3 of the 5 wire grids for the heated windshield (they aren't embedded in the windshield btw, they're surface mount). The drivers step was installed unsupported for 18" or so as they fuel strap was in the wrong place. They batteries were changed and the hold downs weren't installed correctly.
And you wonder why dealers get such a bad rep and people want to do their own work?

The first time I ever changed a headlight, it was 3 Phillips screws
My old Ranger, didn't need tools of any kind, two levers came up behind the headlight bucket, pull them up and the complete light assembly came out, 5 mins< to change a bulb.
My daughters van an 09 Journey, you have to pull the wheel and remove the fender liner to change the battery.
Sorry for the rant....I'll; stop now :)..............Mike

/ Right to Repair. #26  
"
Always have and will unitil I can't physically do it. It is a bit cheaper but the main reason is twofold, (1) I get a chance to look around under my truck and check for busted crap and (2) I don't have some 300lb gorilla put the filter on which would require a 2' cheater bar to remove and I do not trust stealers.....ahhh dealers I mean.
At work we recently had some tandem trucks delivered which were supposedly 'PDI'd" by the dealer (I use that term sparingly) while getting under the truck to do something, lo and behold one of the brakes was still caged where they do it for piggyback transport. The wheels were covered in rear end oil where they had pulled the axles and not even wiped down, Looking at the MVI sticker they placed it over 3 of the 5 wire grids for the heated windshield (they aren't embedded in the windshield btw, they're surface mount). The drivers step was installed unsupported for 18" or so as they fuel strap was in the wrong place. They batteries were changed and the hold downs weren't installed correctly.
And you wonder why dealers get such a bad rep and people want to do their own work?

My old Ranger, didn't need tools of any kind, two levers came up behind the headlight bucket, pull them up and the complete light assembly came out, 5 mins< to change a bulb.
My daughters van an 09 Journey, you have to pull the wheel and remove the fender liner to change the battery.
Sorry for the rant....I'll; stop now :)..............Mike

I recently passed on a 2014 Mercedes E350 that was for sale.
Headlight assembly had water in it.
Cost for new MB headlight assembly $1,500.....part only!

/ Right to Repair. #27  
The right to repair issue would be really easy to cure. Just require manufacturers to provide a lifetime warranty on any software and electronics. I would go so far as to say that warranty should be retroactive.

Further more all diagnostic software could easily be embedded into the electronics. John Deere has gone so far as to phone one farmer that I heard about that was told that if he didn't shut down his tractor immediately his warranty would be void. The tractor was working pretty hard on a grain vac and was running a bit warm. If John Deere can monitor a tractor remotely then they can also figure out how to repair a tractor remotely.

/ Right to Repair. #29  
Tesla can remotely add and delete features on their cars
I've heard horror stories about that. They will disable the rapid charger if the vehicle has been damaged and repaired by a non-Tesla person/shop. Won't sell you parts...nuthin. So, when you buy a Tesla, do you actually rent it on terms that Tesla dictates? If I want to beat the crap out of a car I paid for, it's no ones business but mine as long as I don't try and blame anyone else for problems I cause, which I'm sure given today's technology could be well documented.
One more story and I'll stop...maybe.
Dodge salesman I work with sold us a bunch of new 2019 1500, 2500, 3500's, they are programmed that if the door is open the vehicle won't move, they are programmed like that from day one, a real PIA. I called him and asked if there was a way to bypass it...nope. His own truck a 2016, was in for a BCM update, one of the changes....yup, added the no move with door open 'feature' he didn't ask for it and no way, according to Dodge to backtrack. BTW a work around is to leave a seat belt extender in place, it'll come up on the screen park mode engaged but won't lock up.......Mike

/ Right to Repair. #30  
If consumers acted together, they could bring corporations to their knees. Pick a name out of a hat and until they smarten up, no one buys their product. Can you imagine?