Roadside "harvesting"

/ Roadside "harvesting" #21  
It takes a real set of cojones to go out a couple hundred yards on somebodies property and take their fruit. Chances are - you may be standing all the following week to eat the fruit.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #22  
From a local forum.
So a little while back after getting my first wood stove and chainsaw I went up to my buddys in Peabody [Massachusetts] to cut some trees that had fallen. He lives set off the road with probably 100 yards to his front door down a private driveway. I took a few pick up trucks worth of wood home and left some halfway up his driveway to grab at a later time.

Went on tour, haven't had the chance to get back up there yet. So he calls me a little while ago and says " what time did you come and grab the wood, I would have helped you load it". I say what are you talking about....so he tells me the wood pile is gone. I let out quite a few expletives saying I haven't been up there to grab it yet!

So some ****** ***** went on to his property about half way down his driveway and stole my wood. Pretty Ballsy move. He doesn't have surveillance cameras and calling the po po would be useless...But I hope whoever stole that wood meets a fate worse than having your man parts get caught in the gears of a combine ....

Anyone else ever had stacked and cut wood " liberated" from their own property?

Oddly enough, if we leave stuff in front of our house in Boston, it will just sit there for days until we put a 擢ree sign on it: then it seems to disappear in minutes.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #23  
While snowbirding in deep southern Florida campers would leave the campground in the morning and hit the fields where pickers went through and nobody seemed to care. I thought it strange that a dozen people with over $50-200,000 motor homes and campers could be as cheap as me. But every year we stocked up on beans and potatoes and almost anything that grows.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #24  
There are several locations thru out Ea WA where fruit trees are right in the county roadside ditch or very close. I have checked on three of these locations and the trees are actually in the road ROW. I've contacted the adjacent property owner on two of these and they could care less if I harvest the apples. Both have cautioned - "Please DO NOT drive any vehicle out into the adjoining wheat field".

All of these trees are VERY old and have not been maintained for eons - yet, they still produce large crops of apples. I really don't think that Johnny Applesead ever made it up this way. So I'm thinking these are plantings from some original homestead in the area that is long gone. I find these old homestead apple to be very tasty and if you core out any burrowing/tunneling bugs, they make delicious apple pies OR leave the bugs in for added spice.

My bet is that many years ago someone was driving by eating an apple, got down to the core and out the window it went. Some seeds just happen to grow.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #25  
Never place firewood cut into 16" lengths along a public road. Leave it in long lengths that need to be cut and split and it will stay there forever. Speaking of the word "gleaning" anybody remember the Gleaner combine by Allis Chalmers? Now the Gleaner is made by AGCO- The MTD of farm equipment. They follow behind the real harvesters (Case IH Axial Flow) and pick up the few kernels if any left behind.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #26  
Never place firewood cut into 16" lengths along a public road. Leave it in long lengths that need to be cut and split and it will stay there forever. Speaking of the word "gleaning" anybody remember the Gleaner combine by Allis Chalmers? Now the Gleaner is made by AGCO- The MTD of farm equipment. They follow behind the real harvesters (Case IH Axial Flow) and pick up the few kernels if any left behind.

Used to be popular here until about 1980. Nickname was "Silver Seeder".

/ Roadside "harvesting" #27  
From a local forum.

Oddly enough, if we leave stuff in front of our house in Boston, it will just sit there for days until we put a æ“¢ree sign on it: then it seems to disappear in minutes.

Here if the "free" doesn't work a "For sale $20" will make it disappear over night.

/ Roadside "harvesting" #28  
Years ago in a central California County, walnut thieves were very active. The price of walnuts was high and a very old law made it a serious crime only if the weight of the walnuts they were caught with was, if I recall correctly, over 50 lbs or so. A half a dozen or so guys (sometimes women) would show up in the morning at an orchard and pick walnuts and bag them while others would from time to time show up and haul the loot away. The growers would run them off or would call the sheriff but it took time to get there, the thieves were gone or would scatter.

It was a huge problem for the growers as the price of walnuts had soared and even a bag weighing less than 25 pounds was a significant loss. The ordinance was amended to make it a crime to possess more than 25 lbs and I think the ordinance was again amended to make it a more serious crime, and to require proof of the origin of walnuts when selling to ag buyers. The growers would show up at County board meetings with stories of the thieves showing up in their orchards as if they were reporting to a job - lunch pails and all.