roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #11  
Hoping to do something similar to this in the near future. Concrete cost is the killer but you have to have it. I want a vehicle lift in the center section.View attachment 619379
When I was getting quotes last year, one of those buildings was almost the same price as getting one that was a clear span for the size of the enclosed building and the height of the center section, that would give you a lot more free space and more cubic feet under a roof.

Aaron Z

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #12  
I’ve been looking into building pretty much the same thing. The metal carports are priced pretty attractive for a single vehicle one but the price goes up quick for anything of any size. I want something big enough to park 2 vehicles side by side and put some firewood at the back. I think a pole barn is the better option.

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #13  
I’ve been looking into building pretty much the same thing. The metal carports are priced pretty attractive for a single vehicle one but the price goes up quick for anything of any size. I want something big enough to park 2 vehicles side by side and put some firewood at the back. I think a pole barn is the better option.
I agree. I think a pole barn is the best value for the square footage. Go as big as you can afford. You will always find a use/need for more space. ;)

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn
Thank you all for your advice on this. I'm sure I will mull over it some more with fall coming on. I have seen some gorgeous DIY type barns/sheds/shops here and over at the garageforums. One of my favorite builds I remember seeing is a timber frame monitor style workshop with cedar walls built by a husband and wife team who were in there 70's. I tend to agree the prices seem inflated alot as I ask if I can get a better price paying cash and/or if i assemble it myself and usually get a default of 10% off. 700 bucks off of 7000 does not add up to what it cost them to drive and assemble. My theory is they bank on the hope that some folks will get tired of them and stop paying and they get to repo and resell again. Being in Arkansas there are always deals on Marketplace or swapshops or even craigslist from time to time for poultry house trusses and sheet metal.

I am even keeping an eye on a field by the interstate that has been up for sale several times with a nice steel building being overtaken by trees. I keep an eye out to see if ever see any movement on it to see if I can grab it for scrap price basically when some mall or gas station buys it. I have even snailed mail the owners listed in the county with a few options but have never head back :(
My father in law is the DIY of the family and I have helped him some on his building of a barn style steel house out of HD pallet racks.

In some of my googling I found this:
I even found this vendor Truss Style Building Kits | Wheeler Metals that has all one needs besides prep work to build this on our time.

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #15  
   / roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #16  
I built a shed in 2016. 4x6 posts, 2x6 rafters and frame. 40’ wide, 22’ deep. Didn’t know what I was doing, just did it by myself. Turned out ok. If memory serves I think I spent around $2500. The corrugated tin roof was free used material from my stepdad. I think if I had to purchase it the cost would be doubled. Lot of up and down a ladder and a platform on the hay forks of tractor.

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #17  
ABDB2F86-59A5-4344-91D0-8E5DDFBD05B7.jpeg0765FF0D-48D3-4E68-9105-C99A8CBEAC9A.jpeg

/ roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #19  
   / roadside metal barn/carport "kit" versus real bilt pole barn #20  
In some of my googling I found this:
I even found this vendor Truss Style Building Kits | Wheeler Metals that has all one needs besides prep work to build this on our time.[/QUOTE]

just finished grading for my 28x32x10 shop/pole barn, decided to go pole barn with 26ga sides and roof. here is my material take off for comparison,

16) 6x6x14 post.

16) 2x10x16 header/band.

80) 2x4x16 girts and purlins.

15) 28' truss 6/12 24" OC w/12" OH.

1) 3/0x6/8 metal door.

2) 4/0x8/0 barn doors.

nails and fasteners.

26ga metal siding and roof with vapor barrier.

total cost: $5509

with the link you gave i compared pole barn to the 30x30x10 ez truss building kit. for apples vs apples comparison, i matched whats included in building material list. other than the wood vs metal, i plan on adding windows too. not sure what taxes and delivery would be on ez build kit... ~1500?

im an old GC and carpenter/millworker. i have 1 carpenter and a tractor for the build... pole barns are super simple and go up fast, especially with trusses. metal barns/sheds are easy too.. definitely easier on the back. the main reason i chose the pole barn was building codes in my county. stick framing and metal buildings require 18"x18"x12" footings with 2 runs #4 rebar vs 4"-6" concrete pad. 4000 crete in my area cost $125yd.

put the word out to local builders and metal suppliers. you can get deals on demos/tear downs for used building materials. same with metal. ask for over runs, returns or mixed matched colors... you can always paint it to match. good luck!