Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #21  
I've used this foam, when we put metal roofing on. Allows air to move, but stops rain/snow. Putting it in now and after the roof is on? Hard(er).

Spray foam is not a bad idea, but the attic DOES need good venting, somehow.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #23  
I didn't use the foam sealer stuff on the lower edge. I think the open ridges are a good way to let venting air in (but that also lets in flying bugs - unless screen/foam is there).

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #24  
A ridge vent that is vented the full length of the ridge is the main thing that stops the roof from dripping condensation. It allows the most air movement possible from the eaves to the peak of the roof. Aire movement dries out the moisture formed from condensation under the metal in the early morning when humidity is at it's highest.

What is the slope of your roof?

What type of metal roof do you have?

For standing seam roofs, there are some metal pieces that go under the ridge vent to stop water from being blown back up there. They have to be installed before the ridge vent is installed.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #25  
talked to the guy that put on my roof. It is a vented ridge cap and he advised against the foam.

I will need to fix it from outside by replacing the closures sections, but I can't do that until spring. He thinks that stuffing some insulation in from underneath should be good until I can get on the roof.

I really don't know if this will work. I have tried stuffing things in crack of my shed and when the wind blows hard enough the snow/rain still blows through.
I tried blocking the ridge vent with foam but it just absorbs the moisture and drips down through the vent. Same thing happens with fiberglass insulation. I suppose it depends on the design of the ridge vent.

My roofer also advised against doing it because it could void the roof warranty should something happen. Companies these days look for ways to avoid paying out on warranty claims.
Ok, I've been doing a lot of research on this recently.

There are two types of spray foam. Closed Cell vs Open Cell. The closed cell foam is water proof and can be used as a vapor barrier including under slab. The open cell is not considered waterproof. I'm not sure what the Great Stuff spray in a can is, but I assume it is the open cell.

As far as vents, there are two basic attic insulation systems.

Thin roof, and heavy insulation on top of the ceiling between joists. This type needs attic vents to keep the attic cool. This can be either a ridge vent, or a number of those circular cans scattered across the roof.

Roof + Spray Foam over the entire underside of the roof. Ceiling joist insulation is not needed.

So done right, the spray foam would be done when building the house.

Retro adding a full spray under the entire roof would be expensive, and you'd end up with a double insulated attic which may not function as desired.

Anyway, I would advise against running to town and purchasing a bunch of cans of spray foam and filling your roof vents. You also likely don't want to stuff the vents full of rubber or anything else to block them off.

I don't know about wind blown rain or snow. Water doesn't like to travel uphill, but snow is lighter. So you may have a greater problem with snow than with rain.

I'll have to look at vented ridge cap designs. I was planning on not doing it in the shop, but may do it in the house. One has to be careful not to cut the roofing too short. I think some of the vented ridge caps forced water to flow straight up which wouldn't happen much with rain, but potentially still would be vulnerable to heavy wind blown snow.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
the roof pitch is standard for my area 6/12, it is just a standard corrugated metal roof.

I don't know that I have an issue with rain, just an issue with snow right now.

I have always had issues when it comes to wind.

The corrective action will eventually be to replace the bad sections of closure, but I won't be able to do that until spring when I can get up on the roof to do the work. I just need to temporarily block the snow from blowing in until then.

The guy that put on the roof, who I trust, he's my BIL's BIL, says that stuffing insulation into the cap from below should stop the snow until I can fix it properly. I don't know if it will work but that's what I'm going to do later today and then I'll check on it to see if it is affective.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #27  
There are also several widths of metal ridge cap, I prefer the wider ridge cap verses the narrow.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #28  
What I have on my shingled and standing seal metal roofs.
If your talking about the hog hair closures, they are what I prefer as well, I have seen the foam closures hanging up inside the ridge in the attic, not sure if the adhesive on them wasn't sufficient or what.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #29  
I don’t get enough snow here to have this issue. My roof is 4:12. My gap at the peak between my panels is about two inches. My ridge vent is probably 2 feet wide, but I’m just guessing right now. It might be wider.

I get severe thunderstorms and 40 plus mph winds a few times a year and I’ve never had noticeable water get into my building. If it happens, it’s so slight that I haven’t seen it

How big is the gap between your roofing panels at the peak of your roof?

As a Contractor, some of the worst things that I’ve seen done by other contractors was from their family. Usually it’s an Uncle that needed some money.

I would not spray expanding foam under your vent. The blue can for windows and doors is open cell and it will become a sponge for holding water. The red can is closed cell, but it’s not the same as the 2 part closed cell foam that is sprayed commercially. It breaks down over time from heat and slowly deteriorates.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
How big is the gap between your roofing panels at the peak of your roof?

As a Contractor, some of the worst things that I’ve seen done by other contractors was from their family. Usually it’s an Uncle that needed some money.
Yes, he's a sorta reliative, but he's also a professional contractor. The reason I had him to my roof was because I trusted him more than calling someone I didn't know.

I can actually see the edge of the roof panels from inside the cap from the attic, there might be 1 or 2" gap