Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #31  
The windward side of my shingled barn roof gets occasional drips on some nails, from wind driven rain.

When water is in there and freezes, it expands and that makes leaks progressively worse over time.

Replacing a roof is expensive enough, without having to do it prematurely.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #32  
I would think if you only blocked a few smaller areas of the ridge vent it not be enough to be noticeable and no side effects you would want to be sure the fasteners are not loose though.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #33  
Don’t get me started! I replaced my roof at a previous home. Ridge vent was recommended. First snow I got 6” of snow in my attic. Had to shovel out with a trash can and pull all insulation and replace. Roofers came back and replaced with regular vents and no issue after that.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
Had to go out an move snow today and while I was out there I looked up at the roof ridge gap and I could swear I could actually see where there were parts of the closure is missing. Maybe I was imagining it but it appeared to be right were the problem areas are. Would not surprise me if it is wind damage.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #35  
Had to go out an move snow today and while I was out there I looked up at the roof ridge gap and I could swear I could actually see where there were parts of the closure is missing. Maybe I was imagining it but it appeared to be right were the problem areas are. Would not surprise me if it is wind damage.
If the contractor used a closure product that didn't have an adhesive backing (or a poorly designed adhesive backing) it's easy for it to get installed improperly and get blown out later. I would recommend replacing it with something like this. Universal Ridge Vent Foam by Everlast Roofing You'd take the ridge caps off and the foam has an adhesive backing that sticks to the cap on each side. Make sure to leave it off of the part of the caps that overlap. In the mean time, the insulation is probably a good idea. Generally, snow is more of an issue than rain since it's lighter and more easily blown horizontally.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak
I went up in the attic yesterday and stuffed some insulation up into the ridge cap, will see if that helps till I can replace the closure.

It was sunny outside and I could tell that the closure in those areas are bad because I could see the sun shining in under the cap.

After doing some more research, it is not surprising that they need to be replaced after 10 years. They will deteriorate over time and with the wind I get there they can get blown out.

I will probably replace the closures on the entire length of the roof this spring. Don't know if I will do it or hire someone. I'm getting too old for this ****.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #37  
   / Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #38  
Winter is not a good time to be on the roof. Before I moved out here, I noticed a roof leak - in the winter... It seems these kind of problems always show up at the worst time/weather, doesn't it?

I paid to have the roof stripped, rotten wood replaced and a new roof put on. It hurt to write the check, but only for a little while. They did it in early spring.

/ Roof Ridge/Cap Wind Driven Leak #39  
That's the same stuff I mentioned a page or two back...:rolleyes:
It's similar in some ways, but is not the same. I've used both types extensively, as well as half a dozen others.