Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.
I have never adjusted the slip clutch. I don't know how, but I guess it's time to figure it out. I'm thinking that I'll just buy a new one.

The distance from the gear box to the PTO shaft is farther on the new tractor then my little tractor. I probably need a longer one this time. I measured from the locking ring on the PTO shat to the bolt hole on the gear box shaft and it's 62 inches.

Should I be looking for "Series 5" for a new driveshaft?

Thanks Hay Dude, I'm going to try to find something online or local first.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #12  
From new my mower's slip clutch was too tight. And it needs to be checked yearly or every other year if the mower lives inside. It's not that hard to do. It's also not difficult to disassemble and clean the plates. Yours looks like it should be in good shape though, and I'd try loosening and slipping it as it is first.

Agri-Supply has a guide for which series shaft to use for what HP. The clutch may need to be larger as well.

I agree with @Mud2Money- the new tractor is bigger and the shaft would be extended farther, leaving not enough engagement between the halves.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #13  
Here is a short video describing the basic principles of adjustment, every manufacture may have a slightly different procedure:

I just looked on Amazon and they have two measurements. L is the total length, which is 64 inches and C to C, which is 54 inches.

I'm hesitant to try and use the slip clutch again. I'm worried about it being strong enough for the bigger tractor. Or is that incorrect thinking on my part?

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #16  
I just looked on Amazon and they have two measurements. L is the total length, which is 64 inches and C to C, which is 54 inches.

I'm hesitant to try and use the slip clutch again. I'm worried about it being strong enough for the bigger tractor. Or is that incorrect thinking on my part?

The premises is if adjusted properly the clutch will protect the implement no matter how big the tractor is, just like a shear pin will break when the force it is designed to is applied. I prefer shear pins even though they can sometimes be difficult to replace trying to line up the holes in the shafts. Their costs are much more reasonable as well.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #17  
By the looks of the picture, the springs are adjusted pretty tight.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #18  
An overpowered clutch, is just going to slip, which would hopefully get the owner to notice, and just readjust the clutch to tighten it up. I think your case was the reverse, a clutch that didn't slip.

One item not mentioned the the Belen video above is that in your case you should probably loosen all of the springs up, and separate the two faces to make sure that they come apart, and that the surfaces haven't corroded into each other;
although I prefer to put the sanding paper flat on a flat surface to keep the clutch surfaces as flat as possible, and I would clean the surfaces off with brake cleaner when I was done.
Another video on how to adjust a slip clutch;

After servicing the spring clutch, I would use the one you have. I admit my memory isn't what it was was, but I can't recall walking up to a spring clutch that was adjusted well, especially if it was stored where it could get wet. For me, it used to be a routine start of season servicing.

All the best,

Peter

I called my dealer that I just bought the tractor from and he had a Titan 12 foot batwing for $13,000 in stock.

I'm debating if I should buy the bigger mower or keep fighting with the one I have. 19 year old light duty 6 foot cutter or a 12 foot cutter rated for 2 inches that will fit my 70 HP tractor better?
48850.jpeg