Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #21  
Batwing.....the extra width allows you to mow close while keeping the tractor safely away from objects.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #22  
Wow that thing is a beast!

I'm guessing it has a slip clutch?

It looks like you got good use out of your old cutter. This new one will last you a very long time, the old ones life is limited so what would you do when its not worth repairing which is probably not too far off and the batwing will probably just be more expensive then. Besides, I think the color of the batwing is a better match for your new tractor!

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #23  
I called my dealer that I just bought the tractor from and he had a Titan 12 foot batwing for $13,000 in stock.

I'm debating if I should buy the bigger mower or keep fighting with the one I have. 19 year old light duty 6 foot cutter or a 12 foot cutter rated for 2 inches that will fit my 70 HP tractor better? View attachment 751736

Go for it. You can make money with it, too.
Once you get into field mowing, you won’t want to do construction any more.
Ask me how I know…. :)

Might want to see if he can swap aircraft tires on it, so you can drive to your locations, unfold and mow. :)

1656350371531.jpeg

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #24  
I have never adjusted the slip clutch. I don't know how, but I guess it's time to figure it out. I'm thinking that I'll just buy a new one.

The distance from the gear box to the PTO shaft is farther on the new tractor then my little tractor. I probably need a longer one this time. I measured from the locking ring on the PTO shat to the bolt hole on the gear box shaft and it's 62 inches.

Should I be looking for "Series 5" for a new driveshaft?

Thanks Hay Dude, I'm going to try to find something online or local first.
ASC sells PTO driveshafts, slip clutches and CV joints in their online catalog. Bought from them in the past (I've twisted a couple before). Slip clutches need slipped every year, especially if they sit out in the weather.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #25  
Eddie do you have 3 pairs of remotes on the back?
Consider this before you make the decision for the b/w.👍
But it's only money. 😆

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.
The new tractor has 2 pairs of remotes

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #27  
Did I miss your introduction of this new machine?

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #28  
I don't know about your drive shaft there Eddie. The one I have on my Wallenstein chipper is series 5 - industrial - rated for continuous duty. It has performed great for the nine years I've had the BX62S. It was recommended by the dealer - over the shaft that came OEM with the chipper. It has a shear bolt - no slip clutch. The dealer made this recommendation after he realized I'd be running the chipper up to ten continuous hours some days.

The only down side - it IS VERY heavy. Makes hookup a real adventure. I've made a loop to hold the shaft up while connecting to the tractor. Takes all the weight off when connecting. Loop from the top link to the shaft.

I immediately realized I could not hold the shaft up long enough to make connection to the tractor. That's where the "loop" is a Godsend.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #29  
Even if you buy the batwing, and an extra remote or two, you might still have occasional need for the smaller mower. I think I'd just buy a new slip clutch and shaft and be done.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #30  
C'mon guys, we can do better than that!

Spend the guy's money!

I'd get the batwing and still fix your existing mower. That way you have best of both worlds, can be more productive on open and semi-open ground with the batwing, and still get into tighter spots with the narrower older mower.

No need to thank me. Just doing my part...

Take your clutch all the way apart first, before you decide whether or not to get a new slip clutch. It may me ok with just some sanding and put back together and adjusted properly.