Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #31  
I called my dealer that I just bought the tractor from and he had a Titan 12 foot batwing for $13,000 in stock.

I'm debating if I should buy the bigger mower or keep fighting with the one I have. 19 year old light duty 6 foot cutter or a 12 foot cutter rated for 2 inches that will fit my 70 HP tractor better? View attachment 751736
It is always easy to spend someone else's money for them...:eek:

I wouldn't forget the cost to add the third remote.

I would ask though how much do you mow,
how would a bat wing change what you can/can't mow,
how much do you enjoy mowing, and if you do,
how appealing is it to go into business mowing for others?

I.e. what would a new mower that is twice as wide do for you?

My cows wouldn't be happy with me if I started mowing, that's for sure.

All the best,

Peter

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #32  
I have a Land Pride bat wing shredder and a Land Pride 7 foot wide flat deck shredder as well and I use them both. Each one has it's positives and negatives. At least both have slip clutches and I always run an over running coupler on the pto stub as well.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #33  
The Titan Flexwing can be operated with 1 remote. That is one of their selling points. So at least you do not have to add any more remotes to use it.

I say get the mower. New tractor deserves at least one new implement.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #34  
Definitely sounds like your slip clutch was locked up. I bought a new 5 ft medium duty Bushhog for my 43 pto hp tractor last year, and the slip clutch was locked up on it. Fortunately, it has a 60 hp gearbox on it, and all I did was stall the engine on my tractor, when I hit a big stump.

I didn’t want to risk damaging anything on the drive train of the cutter or the tractor. With considerable effort, I was able to free that clutch up this spring. I backed all the spring bolts on the clutch off until the nuts were loose. It would not free spin when I engaged the pto, with the nuts loose, because the clutch faces were stuck together.

My Bushog is rated for 3” brush, so I started chopping down a thick hedgerow with brush at least that diameter, with the nuts loose. I downed about 50 yards of that before the clutch faces finally broke free. Then I tightened the bolts back up, and it had been working properly ever since.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions.
Did I miss your introduction of this new machine?
2022 Massey Ferguson 4707 arrived last Wednesday

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #37  
I just looked on Amazon and they have two measurements. L is the total length, which is 64 inches and C to C, which is 54 inches.

I'm hesitant to try and use the slip clutch again. I'm worried about it being strong enough for the bigger tractor. Or is that incorrect thinking on my part?
Slip clutches should be rated for the implement, not the tractor. But they do need to be serviced, it's not difficult to do. Just make sure to torque the bolts correctly when reassembling it. Too loose and it slips all the time, too tight and stuff breaks.

/ Rotary Cutter Driveshaft failure. Your suggestions. #38  
I called my dealer that I just bought the tractor from and he had a Titan 12 foot batwing for $13,000 in stock.

I'm debating if I should buy the bigger mower or keep fighting with the one I have. 19 year old light duty 6 foot cutter or a 12 foot cutter rated for 2 inches that will fit my 70 HP tractor better?
2" is pretty close to be mowing hay or pasture grass. It grows from the crown, and will regrow faster and stay green through droughts better if you leave 4" of crown.

Of course if you just want to beat back the vegetation, mow as close as you can.

I wasn't clear. The 12 foot mower is rated for cutting material up to 2 inches thick. Small trees and branches.

On mowing height, around the house, I cut it as short as I can with my zero turn. Out in the pasture, and in the woods, I agree that 4 inches is ideal. My biggest issue is that I don't cut it as often as I should, so it's not uncommon to be cutting weeds that are 2 to 4 feet tall.

I told the dealer that I'll buy the Titan 1912 batwing yesterday, and he said that he'd run the numbers for me. I'm waiting on him to do what he does, and hopefully I'll have the mower by this weekend.

I'm waiting on the batwing before I do anything with the old 6 foot cutter.

The Titan Flexwing can be operated with 1 remote. That is one of their selling points. So at least you do not have to add any more remotes to use it.

I say get the mower. New tractor deserves at least one new implement.
I was looking at their website and some YouTube videos and I'm wondering if there is any advantage to using two remotes? I've never had a batwing, so I'm just guessing, but I can't think of any reason that I'd want to lift the wings and not lift the wheels. I'm not taking it off of the land, my insurance is very clear that it's only to be used on my land and nowhere else. I have some 12 foot gates, so lifting the wings to get through the gates would be the main reason to do this, which will also lift the wheels. Otherwise, why would I want to connect to the second remote?