Rotary Cutter Overhang

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang
My thoughts exactly!

I would have been more worried about the length of the trailer, instead of the color of the spares rim... lol

SR
Well, I just threw that in there as a ”by the way” ‘cause I knew some would come along and point out the rim on the spare was a different color. Apparently that person is you. Thanks for a non-useful reply.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #12  
Well, I just threw that in there as a ”by the way” ‘cause I knew some would come along and point out the rim on the spare was a different color. Apparently that person is you. Thanks for a non-useful reply.
You mean SECONDING the fact that you should have bought a longer trailer, was a "non-useful reply"?

OR, you just didn't like THAT answer, so you thought you would deflect with something else??

I can't say that I blame you, trailers are expensive, and making the wrong decision can be painful.

SR

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #13  

If you don’t do everything like SR you’re wrong lol. It looks perfectly safe the way you have it.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Overhang
Mine hangs over 3’ on my 18’. I know ( or think I know) that 4’ is max in Texas and I’ve heard the same for others. Be sure you are legal - I KNOW Texas state troopers target private trailers for enforcement.
Otherwise check tongue weight and go.
Thanks! My state is 4' as well. The times I will need to haul the tractor, FEL, and brush hog will be rare. This is the only property that I maintain. I primarily bought the trailer for other tasks, but wanted to be sure IF I needed to haul it I could safely and legally. I've still got some room at the front to play with. I was trying to be generous with how much room the bucket will need as I've ordered the Piranha toothbar.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #15  
If you don’t do everything like SR you’re wrong lol. It looks perfectly safe the way you have it.
You want to post a couple more times here, so we can an average them out to get your REAL answer... lol

SR

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #16  
To me it looks ok. But i might tilt bucket down to see if resting on cutting edge gave me any more forward position. Or I might try pvc (slotted) over the front guards and rest bucket on it. Just some things i might try....

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Rotary Cutter Overhang #17  
I think with the weight of the bush hog hanging out the back, that your tongue weight is probably OK, but it sure wouldn't hurt to check it.
I'd also run a strap from the shaft (that accepts the bush hog wheel axle) to some immobile point on the tractor.
Tongue weight is my only concern, probably depends on how much is there with the trailer empty. Other than that flagging your over hanging load and you should be okay. Not ideal if but okay.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #18  
put some large angled timbers in the overhang & strap down tight esp if over dirt roads...you probably will be fine either way

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Overhang #19  
You might try something I have seen several times, try backing it on with the tail wheel hanging over the tongue, might not give you enough tongue weight or make the trailer tail heavy but you don't know till you try.

As for how it looks now, I would not give it a second thought.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #20  
Recently bought a Doolittle 18’ (16’ + 2’ dovetail) equipment trailer. I figured that my rotary cutter would stick out past the trailer some, but should I be concerned? My tie down plan is 4 points on the tractor with 5/16” grade 70 and ratcheting binders with a 2” strap over the bucket and 2” strap over the rotary cutter. I have corner protectors for the strap. I will also be attaching a red flag to the rotary cutter wheel. I think I’m okay here, but looking for 2nd opinions by experienced tractor owners/haulers. BTW, the silver spare is getting swapped out for a matching black one by the dealer, they just didn’t have a black rim when I bought it. I had TPMS monitors installed in all four tires and the trailer pulls like a dream empty. I plan on using it to occasionally haul my tractor and I plan on building some side boards to haul mulch and topsoil and other odds-n-ends.

View attachment 708822

View attachment 708823

View attachment 708824

View attachment 708825

View attachment 708826
10' is legal.