Rotary Cutter Overhang

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #1  

Tr3kker

Tractor
Kubota L2501
Recently bought a Doolittle 18’ (16’ + 2’ dovetail) equipment trailer. I figured that my rotary cutter would stick out past the trailer some, but should I be concerned? My tie down plan is 4 points on the tractor with 5/16” grade 70 and ratcheting binders with a 2” strap over the bucket and 2” strap over the rotary cutter. I have corner protectors for the strap. I will also be attaching a red flag to the rotary cutter wheel. I think I’m okay here, but looking for 2nd opinions by experienced tractor owners/haulers. BTW, the silver spare is getting swapped out for a matching black one by the dealer, they just didn’t have a black rim when I bought it. I had TPMS monitors installed in all four tires and the trailer pulls like a dream empty. I plan on using it to occasionally haul my tractor and I plan on building some side boards to haul mulch and topsoil and other odds-n-ends.

4405B22F-B407-46BF-91A2-B285DAB2315A.jpeg

414F8F50-B24E-4E77-9911-48D576CF8F5E.jpeg

EB079A35-D8B3-4ECB-A6AF-6F6CB9FCA2C2.jpeg

BFD54A40-D3E1-42F4-9FD8-D4B7F180CA13.jpeg

890C8DEF-5CAB-41A8-AF7A-7AF9965BBA55.jpeg

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Rotary Cutter Overhang #2  
I wouldn't be concerned at all , you have a sound plan to bind down the tractor and you are planning on flagging the overhanging mower, you will be fine, one thing I am curious about I am always trying to figure a way around TPMS on vehicles due to failing batteries or sensors or the sensors themselves failing and now people are getting them installed on trailers, I guess being raised on a farm and coming up long before TPMS I got into the habit of doing a walk around and checking my tires, lights etc, and while I guess it's nice when it works, it's just been aggravating for me, wasn't trying to hi-jack your thread, just curious.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #3  
Niice trailer, but I'm think it's just the wrong trailer. IMHO, I think you bought a too-small of a trailer. A 16' is about 4' too short to allow positioning the tractor properly for correct weight distribution. The 16' you have appears to put too much weight on the tongue.

Just so you don't feel so badly, I made the same mistake when I bought my Kubota L3400. Ended up selling the 16'-er trailer and going to a 20'-er. Sold my diesel C2500 Chevy and left with only a C1500 half-ton - which is greatly undersized to haul my tractor. One of these days I'll get it all just right.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #4  
You should be fine. I do pretty much the same thing on my 18' trailer. I don't bother with a strap across the bucket or mower though. They are both attached to the tractor, and it's chained down on 4 corners with separate chains and binders. As long as you put a flag on the back of the mower (which you are doing) no one will give it a second look (other than to check out your cool tractor).

My next trailer is going to be a 30' gooseneck, so I can carry additional attachments with me to off property work sites.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #5  
I think with the weight of the bush hog hanging out the back, that your tongue weight is probably OK, but it sure wouldn't hurt to check it.
I'd also run a strap from the shaft (that accepts the bush hog wheel axle) to some immobile point on the tractor.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #7  
Mine hangs over 3’ on my 18’. I know ( or think I know) that 4’ is max in Texas and I’ve heard the same for others. Be sure you are legal - I KNOW Texas state troopers target private trailers for enforcement.
Otherwise check tongue weight and go.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #8  
it seams like it is never enough, I started out with a 16 footer and now have a 20 footer also and I do use the 20 footer a lot more than the 16.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang #9  
Legality-wise check ur state laws. For instance, in my state, the maximum overhang allowed is four feet past the trailer end.

You may also want to measure the tongue weight just to be sure u have enough with that particular placement.

/ Rotary Cutter Overhang
I wouldn't be concerned at all , you have a sound plan to bind down the tractor and you are planning on flagging the overhanging mower, you will be fine, one thing I am curious about I am always trying to figure a way around TPMS on vehicles due to failing batteries or sensors or the sensors themselves failing and now people are getting them installed on trailers, I guess being raised on a farm and coming up long before TPMS I got into the habit of doing a walk around and checking my tires, lights etc, and while I guess it's nice when it works, it's just been aggravating for me, wasn't trying to hi-jack your thread, just curious.
I certainly agree with the walk around, having TPMS doesn’t relieve you of that duty. But, going down the highway, TPMS will tell you if you suddenly lost 10lbs in a tire or if the temperature is unusually high. Could save you a blowout. Anyway, the four extra sensors came with the trailering package, so why not use them? Sorta like the cameras, I use them, but it doesn’t mean I don’t still use my mirrors as well.