Rotary cutter preference

/ Rotary cutter preference
I've only had a JD LX4 and Frontier RC2048. The Frontier is better in that its gearbox does not get hot like the LX4, and the stump jumper stays in place when you remove the blades. It does show some dents and the back part with the chains on it is getting bent up a bit.

Recently changed out the gearbox oil (since 2013) on the Frontier, and it had a bit of water in the bottom. Seems to be the norm.
Never changed the oil in mine probably should do it though

/ Rotary cutter preference #32  
Brown, Brown and Brown. The best cutter you can buy. Not inexpensive by any means. We have or have had had 5 or 6 different brands-LP, Lowery, Woods and Bush Hog are all fine. But by far the Browns are best

Brown, Brown and Brown. The best cutter you can buy. Not inexpensive by any means. We have or have had had 5 or 6 different brands-LP, Lowery, Woods and Bush Hog are all fine. But by far the Browns are best
I’ve seen a few good things about brown haven’t seen one in person before

/ Rotary cutter preference #34  
I've seen a few Rhino's - not the TW3 series though. I never seen a Brown. Maybe I'm just too far West and I don't think they have dealers.

/ Rotary cutter preference #35  
   / Rotary cutter preference #36  
Never changed the oil in mine probably should do it though

I would suggest annual gearbox oil change. Gearboxes are wicked expensive compared to the cost of a couple quarts of gearbox oil.
If your gearboxes get hot, it’s likely they have moisture in them. Buy a $30 laser heat gun and shoot them while you mow. Great way to learn how hot they get and what is normal operating temps.

/ Rotary cutter preference #37  
When I revived a flail mower from the weeds last year I checked the gear oil after a test run. Oil looked like melted strawberry ice cream. With an oil flush then refill I think it’s ok. $20 for two quarts of 90W.

I've seen a few Rhino's - not the TW3 series though. I never seen a Brown. Maybe I'm just too far West and I don't think they have dealers.
I’ve only seen pictures of the browns

I would suggest annual gearbox oil change. Gearboxes are wicked expensive compared to the cost of a couple quarts of gearbox oil.
If your gearboxes get hot, it’s likely they have moisture in them. Buy a $30 laser heat gun and shoot them while you mow. Great way to learn how hot they get and what is normal operating temps.
I’ll have to try that

/ Rotary cutter preference #40  
I have a 5 ft woods cutter very well made.
I will never be able to wear it out in my
life time

willy