Rotary cutter preference

/ Rotary cutter preference #21  
Deere

1652180736511.jpeg

/ Rotary cutter preference #23  
What brand of rotary cutter have you had the best luck out of or prefer the most
I'm not a real fan of one brand over another. I do however, subscribe to the notion that Bush hogs (or anything else for that matter) that are "Heavy Duty" and use a clutch instead of sheer pins is a much better choice than "regular" duty or light duty ones with pins.

I really, really dislike sheer pins. Seems they usually break at the absolute worst part of a project. The only implement I currently have with pins, instead of a clutch, is a post hole digger (about 30-40 yrs old - brand escapes me.). It typically snaps a pin when the auger is about 35-40" down and full of clay.

/ Rotary cutter preference #25  
I'm not a real fan of one brand over another. I do however, subscribe to the notion that Bush hogs (or anything else for that matter) that are "Heavy Duty" and use a clutch instead of sheer pins is a much better choice than "regular" duty or light duty ones with pins.

I really, really dislike sheer pins. Seems they usually break at the absolute worst part of a project. The only implement I currently have with pins, instead of a clutch, is a post hole digger (about 30-40 yrs old - brand escapes me.). It typically snaps a pin when the auger is about 35-40" down and full of clay.
I agree. I started out with sheer pins and kept breaking them. The slip clutch was money well spent!!!

I have a Land Pride 6 foot rotary cutter and 7 foot finish mower. I like them, but I also abused them pretty bad when I first bought my land by clearing areas that I probably shouldn't have.

I'm currently waiting on a 70hp tractor, which is twice as big as what I've been using to mow. My goal is to get a 12 foot batwing after the tractor gets here, or as soon as I can afford it. Land Pride is at the top of my list, but so is Rhino and Woods. Maybe Modern. It seems that most 12 foot batwings are rated for 1 1/2 inch material and 35 to 40hp ratings, but only a few brands have a heavy duty 12 foot mowers that I'm interested in.

The good thing about Land Pride is that it's always been easy to get parts for them. Kubota sells them, so any Kubota dealer can get the parts, but Messicks.com sells parts online for every Land Pride model, and they are super easy and fast to deal with. Before I switch brands, I need to be sure that I can get parts online for that brand. But my biggest factor will be in finding one for sale!!! It's become very hard to find 12 foot batwings.

/ Rotary cutter preference #26  
I have 80 acres but no GREAT fields of grass to mow. My meadows are kept well "mowed" thru an agreement with my neighbor and his cattle. I would like a rotary cutter to prune down my Buck brush. Buck brush - 1/4" in diameter - two feet tall - thick as hair on a hound dog.

I have looked at Brown 415 and Rhino TW35. I'm still considering...........

/ Rotary cutter preference #27  
I'm currently waiting on a 70hp tractor, which is twice as big as what I've been using to mow. My goal is to get a 12 foot batwing after the tractor gets here, or as soon as I can afford it. Land Pride is at the top of my list, but so is Rhino and Woods. Maybe Modern. It seems that most 12 foot batwings are rated for 1 1/2 inch material and 35 to 40hp ratings,
I've love to see a 35, 40hp tractor run a 12' mower in ANYTHING that REALLY needed mowing!!

NO way it could do it for long, if at all!

SR

/ Rotary cutter preference

Didn’t know sheer pins were that bad

/ Rotary cutter preference #30  
I've only had a JD LX4 and Frontier RC2048. The Frontier is better in that its gearbox does not get hot like the LX4, and the stump jumper stays in place when you remove the blades. It does show some dents and the back part with the chains on it is getting bent up a bit.

Recently changed out the gearbox oil (since 2013) on the Frontier, and it had a bit of water in the bottom. Seems to be the norm.