Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones?

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
I was looking at flail mowers because I had heard they are inherently safer. Unfortunately I have very few available for sale in my area, and the prices are pretty high.

Rotary cutters are a dime a dozen. Plenty to choose from. If I add chains or heavy conveyor belt material, just how likely are they to throw sticks and rocks?

I have a few areas that i would like to chop down, fairly close to the house and buildings (30-50 feet). I am wondering if projectiles are a rare occurrence, or if they happen all the time. How far do they usually fly? do they stay mostly close to the ground, or is a small side slope all that is required to launch them with an arc?

Mostly concerned with windows, but I am sure siding gouges would upset me too.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #2  
We have very few stones naturally here but still the rough cut mowers throw things. My brother had a blade to break while using a side mount mower and it flew probably 40 feet or more. Know of a case on housing construction where same thing happened and the mower was position just right to have it's blade take flight over a house and land safely. Saw a car with big bashed in area of the right front door caused by piece of wood hit by rough cut mower and the piece of wood had to fly about 50 or so feet and still had enough speed to bend in the door not to total it but had large dent. By their design and use they are often hitting heavy objects even on purpose such as cutting trees and in use you will not see every small stump or such. I have seen a chunk off wood come out from under mine when using it. But seldom use it around buildings or such.

Now how often does such happen? If you are not cutting over large pieces of wood such as cutting trees or stumps or hitting rocks would expect you to be safe. Keep eye on the blades for damage and bolts tight they run on. Of course around animals, people and anything of value give it good thought. It is advised to walk where you will be cutting first if you don't already know it to help prevent accidents.

I have owned a flail mower of one design or other for few years. I prefer the cut of it and yes it is not as likely to throw items as a rotary mower can. But the rough cut rotary mower for me will cut faster than the flail does. One thing I find the flail is better is the stump it leaves on small trees compared to the rotary mower. Rotary mower will often leave a point to it compared to the flail which can damage a tire coming back over it.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #3  
The frequency of a bush hog throwing objects has TOTALLY to do with the number of stones and other objects in it path,,

My first JD bush hog threw a rock 75 yards towards the house, my wife was outside,,
She was not hurt, but, the noise of the rock landing scared her pretty good.
I only mowed after that in directions that the bush hog would discharge away from the house.

My wife was the main reason that I now own a JD 390 flail,, she put her foot down about bush hog projectiles,,

The bush hog was soon sold,,,

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #4  
I do try to stop moving when mowing up the side of roads. Motor cycle riders seem to appreciate the gesture. The twin spindle 84" Bush Hog really does not throw stuff much at all and the blades are much lighter than a 2 bladed 84" cutter. I lost a blade years ago but it was out in the middle of nowhere.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #5  
I have chains on the front and back of my Woods BB60. Thrown objects are not a problem for me when mowing with the deck set low on more or less smooth ground. It's an issue when mowing a ditch, though seems to be less so when mowing with a garden tractor (most of those mowers are designed to have a side discharge). The other time where I sometimes get projectiles is when I have to list up the mower to lower it down on something, or when it gets pushed up (for example when backing in to a bunch of saplings). I only make those kind of moves when no one else is nearby.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #6  
A friend's small plane (Luscombe 8A) suffered 22 holes in one of his wings due to rotary mower flinging stones while he was parked at a local airport.
The whole wing had to be re surfaced.
Contractor had to pay for the repairs.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #7  
I have chains on my brush hog and the one thing I can tell you for sure is they do, can and will throw things even with the chains. The latest piece of flying debris took out a work light on the tractor right behind the seat and while there are not a lot of rocks where I use it there are plenty of sticks and limbs.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #8  
Back when the county would mow the ditches with unguarded rotary cutters, projectiles would be thrown everywhere. Now they are heavily guarded and still throw stuff once in a while. The smallest item can do damage or kill.....here is an example of a tiny piece of wire killing a woman that was running a push mower.

A Fatal Perforating Lawn Mower Injury

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #9  
Back when the county would mow the ditches with unguarded rotary cutters, projectiles would be thrown everywhere. Now they are heavily guarded and still throw stuff once in a while. The smallest item can do damage or kill.....here is an example of a tiny piece of wire killing a woman that was running a push mower.

A Fatal Perforating Lawn Mower Injury

That was quite the read.......As our house build progresses, been shopping for a ZTR.
As we all have experienced, amazing how far a projectile will will exit even with chain guards.
Watching many landscaping videos, also amazed at how many cut with the guard secured upwards. Ariens even design their machine to lift and set in the upward position. Have learned that a plate kit is sold (not a mulch kit) called a chute block (IIRC)......... Blade speed on ZTRs are crazy fast at or beyond a rotary cutter speed.....
So, how likely is a cutter to throw projectiles?????

The likely factor is directly proportional to the volume of debris one encounters minus the Murphy factor.
If houses, children, pets etc., bodies or autos are within 50 yards then, the Murphy factor is squared.........;)

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #10  
I think that there's a direct correlation between the need for a Doctor/Hosp. , an Attorney or good Insurance.
Or all three in worse case scenarios.
Do I have any of the above?
Who are you and why do you have a need to know?
I wasn't anywhere near wherever you think I was! In fact I was busy with the wife that day, elsewhere!
I swear!!