Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones?

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #21  
Had I known my garden tractor would end up being a glorified lawn mower, I would have gone ZTR from the get go. Now it seems like an unneeded expense. I suspect I can't even touch one for less than 4k here, so I may as well just get a flail and get the additional grunt factor for the wooded areas.

Yeah there is that........I'm in the same quandary...
except....I need a to mow close to the house, tractor mowing not an option and the lawn tractor too slow.....so ouch......
I may have to start visiting pawn shops......:D

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #22  
I slung off the stump-jumper on my 6' rotary. It didn't travel far (it hid in the bushes from me!), but if someone had been close by they'd had been in big trouble. The moral of the story is that it's not just stuff on the ground that get picked up and tossed. Operating bigger pieces of equipment brings big risks.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #23  
Had I known my garden tractor would end up being a glorified lawn mower, I would have gone ZTR from the get go. Now it seems like an unneeded expense. I suspect I can't even touch one for less than 4k here, so I may as well just get a flail and get the additional grunt factor for the wooded areas.

Well I kept looking and if you're younger then I, & younger then 69, then maybe a walk behind mower.......?

Exmark and many others make a twin blade 30 to 33" cut walk behind. That would allow cutting around the house (way past 50 to 75') with speed and ease.......
then a shredder can be used to the rest of the property.......

another 2 cent solution????...heh.....

One example- | Exmark

And another for starters...
CC 8 - 12AE76M8:) | Cub Cadet US

have a good weekend....

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #24  
Not sure I understand why things are getting thrown? We have a older JD LX178 with a grass catcher. Mow around the house all the time with it. Everything goes into the catcher. and there is really nothing on the ground that would be of any size to get thrown. Worst case maybe a tree limb gets blown down. We just pick it up first.
Also have a flail mower for the tractor. It would work nicely but a bit rougher cut than the wife would like. Around the barn works great.

Both buildings had a walk around when we first moved in. We cleared whatever needed and set it up for the mowers to work great.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #25  
Mowing the yard with a GT and using a cutter in unknown areas are two different things. When I use the cutter once a year in the ditch, there may be chunks of firewood, car parts, dead animals,......anything!

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #26  
Mowing the yard with a GT and using a cutter in unknown areas are two different things. When I use the cutter once a year in the ditch, there may be chunks of firewood, car parts, dead animals,......anything!

During some initial clearing at my place I was getting ready to pack it in for the day, dusk was on the scene. Brush hog was chewing up blackberry vines and THEN... BAM, BAM, BAM... I spun my head around to see sparks flying all over the place. A half axle from an old VW. It and the brush hog battled to a draw. It was the "whistle" telling me the shift was over and time to head home. :laughing:

Steel rims slice up really nice, much easier, though still mulch poorly.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #27  
well....*&^% that......on the idea of a push mower........just cleaned up all the left over limestone, raked up the rest and then pushed a 21" mower.......Shhhhhhhh.....

That 48" Ariens Apex looking better everyday......:thumbsup::laughing:

AND....my local implements guy (New Holland Dealer) in Shiner that sells Gravely said he can gets me one.....Whew

Looking forward to a winter deal....!!!

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #28  
Even mowing smooth pastures can be hazardous. I was using a 6' bush hog on my IH584 and in the middle of the smooth field one of the blades just gave up and separated at the bolt. It flung that thing right through the side of the deck and traveled a ways after that. It immediately go so out of balance I thought it was going to break the tractor before I could get it shut down.

Take nothing for granted.