Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones?

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #11  
I've thrown pieces of a branch about 40 or 50'. I've hit my share of rocks, but I don't know if they exited the cutter-never saw them come out. I don't consider it much of a hazard as long as people and pets aren't around me. I don't consider it a hazard at all if it's a field I mow often and know. I worry much more about turning over. I had a flail mower I bought because it was easy to trailer the length vs. a cutter, but it didn't cut nearly as fast so I sold it.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #12  
If you’re mowing a grassy field that’s pretty smooth the risk is low. If you’re mowing a trail in the woods the chance is 100 percent. You can minimize the risk by mowing crossways in front of the house and not back and forth towards the house. Most debris is thrown mostly straight out the tail.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones?
Ok thanks for the real use experience. Seems common enough, even with good guards, that I would not be comfortable using it anywhere near buildings or neighbour driveways. Looks like for my use case the additional expense of a flail mower may be worth it.

At this point anything would be better with the G5500 with 54" deck and mulching blades. Had to run over the same weeds 5 times before they finally stopped popping back up...

Really too bad ditch bank Chicom flails are so heavy. I would not mind the added flexibility, but 1000lbs implement offset to one side in the air is likely way too much for the CK2610��

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #14  
you dont need to worry how far away flail mower dealers are. you can purchase online and they will ship.
Betstco ships free.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #15  
have you considered a ZTR with a 50-60 inch deck.

Ariens, Gravely, Exmark, etc?
They will clean out what your whacking down near the house.

Just make sure the hydro motors are at least a ZT2800 so the filters and fluids can be serviced.

A chute plate can even be installed so there is no discharge near the house for safety. landscapers use them for that very reason.
Way more powerful the a garden/lawn tractor and make quick work of chores.......:2cents: ;)

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones?
have you considered a ZTR with a 50-60 inch deck.

Ariens, Gravely, Exmark, etc?
They will clean out what your whacking down near the house.

Just make sure the hydro motors are at least a ZT2800 so the filters and fluids can be serviced.

A chute plate can even be installed so there is no discharge near the house for safety. landscapers use them for that very reason.
Way more powerful the a garden/lawn tractor and make quick work of chores.......:2cents: ;)

Had I known my garden tractor would end up being a glorified lawn mower, I would have gone ZTR from the get go. Now it seems like an unneeded expense. I suspect I can't even touch one for less than 4k here, so I may as well just get a flail and get the additional grunt factor for the wooded areas.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #17  
Doubt flail ones are any safer as far as not throwing things. The neighbor to the west hired a big CAT with a big flail on the front. It slung stuff around.

Regular bush hogs won't sling things much if you have chains in both front and back.

Ralph

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #18  
Forestry flail shredder mowers are designed with a fully open design that allows the cutting head
to be fully exposed to the work allowing any wood or other material to be ejected forward or rearward.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #19  
Forestry flail shredder mowers are designed with a fully open design that allows the cutting head
to be fully exposed to the work allowing any wood or other material to be ejected forward or rearward.

Yes, they are an entirely different beast than the one made for use behind a compact tractor.

/ Rotary Cutters/ Brush Hogs : just how likely are they to throw sticks and stones? #20  
I was looking at flail mowers because I had heard they are inherently safer. Unfortunately I have very few available for sale in my area, and the prices are pretty high.

Rotary cutters are a dime a dozen. Plenty to choose from. If I add chains or heavy conveyor belt material, just how likely are they to throw sticks and rocks?

I have a few areas that i would like to chop down, fairly close to the house and buildings (30-50 feet). I am wondering if projectiles are a rare occurrence, or if they happen all the time. How far do they usually fly? do they stay mostly close to the ground, or is a small side slope all that is required to launch them with an arc?

Mostly concerned with windows, but I am sure siding gouges would upset me too.

Sounds to me like you need a rear finish mower with rear discharge rather then a "brush Hog" type mower.
If you have been over this land with your currant 54" mower, I am sure it is safe for a rear finish mower.
And in my mid, you get a better cut.