Rototiller Speed

/ Rototiller Speed #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
What's the best GROUND speed to run a rototiller? I'm sure it depends, to some degree, on the type of soil. I'm talking about over previously tilled soil to rejuvenate a garden. I'm wondering if I need to add the "Creeper" gearbox to my tractor. Right now with my tractor, when running at PTO rpms in Low-1 gear the ground speed is probably about 0.8mph.

/ Rototiller Speed #2  
Hey Chuck.
I think your ground speed will be fine. I think the depth your cutting and soil condition is a bigger factor. The more compact the soil the shallower the cut. your tractor is HST isn't it, I don't remember now. I think a lot of people try to take to big a bite with the 1st pass and the tiller will want to push.

/ Rototiller Speed #3  
Chuck, you hit the nail on the head with "I'm sure it depends, to some degree, on the type of soil" and you'll have to add in depth of cut.

On my rig when tilling my garden plot, I typ run in second range and either first or second gear. Tractor is 3sp and 3 range trans. Not exactly sure of speed but would guess it is several times the .8mph you mention. Have used the tiller on old pasture and first pass was slower than garden but don't recall having to use low range first gear.

Remember, the faster the ground speed for a give tiller RPM, the courser the tilled soild will be and vise versa.

/ Rototiller Speed
Thanks for the replies. My tractor is actually standard synchro (geared) transmission. So I don't have as much fine control over ground speed adjustments as one would have with an HST. I got some seat time today. . .clearing brush and trimming trees. I checked to see what my ground speed would be at rated rpm engine speed in Low-1 and it was actually 1.25 mph. It just seems a little too fast to really work the soil when tilling. I dunno.

/ Rototiller Speed #5  
I till my garden plot in low - 2nd gear with the tiller at full depth and it does great, usually run 2 passes.

Today I tilled about a 10 acre field to plant for doves and another guy ran a disc and I followed with tiller. I set it about 5" depth and ran in 3 low, took a long time but the field looked great. seeds will be broadcast so tilling a foot deep wasn't that important, just wanted to get the grass turned under with a few inches of seed bed.

/ Rototiller Speed #6  
I bought a CCM tiller to prep 10 acres for a Prairie restoration. When I first started using the tiller I called Mark at CCM to discuss what I perceived to be a problem (turned out not to be). I'd already plowed and disc'd my ground so Mark recommended a ground speed of 2.2 to 2.5mph which I did for my first tiller pass. I just recently retilled the field to get rid of some residual fescue and tilled around 3.2 mph in the already tilled field. Worked fine. .8 to 1.2 mph seems awfully slow.

/ Rototiller Speed #7  
When I am "busting" my pasture and running at the full 8" depth I am going around .3 mph. After the turf is all gone and I'm just mixing or getting rid of weeds then I'll be doing .5 to .7 mph. I have a clay soil. I'm doing 540 PTO rpm and end up with turf clumps about 1/2 the size of my fist.

/ Rototiller Speed #8  
The slower you go the finer the end product when it comes to tilling with a HST tractor. I finished tilling my "main" garden today (27'X40') where we plant what we intend to eat :). After 20+ years of tilling this garden area (which is shrinking in size) it is a "feel thing". At times I was hardly moving at all as I "pulverized" the soil at other times I was probably moving ~ .5 mph. Some times I was in 2WD other times 4WD. Jay